Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 1 decade ago

Admission into Law School in NYC area?

I am entering into my last year of Undergrad, my gpa is a 2.5 right now and I know I will bring it up to a 3.0 by next May when I graduate. I am taking my LSATs in October.. Which law schools in the NYC area can I get into with an LSAT score of 164(estimate) and a gpa of 2.8 or 2.9 (estimate)..and also what does LSAT matter more than gpa? Please help.. I am not looking to get into an amazing law school, I want to get into any law school in NYC (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens).

Sorry, I also meant to ask, what matters more, the LSAT scores, or GPA?

Favorite Answer

It's a balancing act between the GPA and the LSAT score. They both matter. In general, if your GPA is a slight bit below a school's averages, a higher than their average LSAT can get you in. But I'm talking a slight bit.

Your LSAT would have you looking at schools like Fordham. But your GPA, assuming you get it up to a 3.0, is too low for schools at that level. However, if you write a convincing essay, have great references and etc... you could get into some reach schools. It'll be for you to make the rest of your application sparkle.

And do make it your #1 priority to bring your GPA up to a 3.0. That's going to open up so many more doors for you re: law school than having a GPA in the 2's. A 2.5 will make it very, very hard for you to get into an ABA accredited law school in NYC. So ask for tutoring if you need it. Take a study skills seminar. Do everything you have to to get that GPA up.

When you apply to law schools, I want you to look at three types: reach, fit, and backup. Reach schools for you will be schools where your LSAT is a fit for them, maybe even a bit above their averages, but your GPA is simply too low. Fit schools will be schools where your GPA is just a bit too low for them, it's at the low end of their range, but your LSAT is a fit. Back up schools will be schools that fit your GPA quite well, but for which your LSAT will likely be higher than their averages.

So in the NYC metro area, if you bring your GPA up to a 3.0, reach schools might be Fordham, Yeshiva, Brooklyn Law. Fit schools would be Rutgers Camden, Rutgers Newark, Seton Hall, St. John's, Hofstra. Back up schools would be Pace, CUNY Queens, Touro College.

Fordham is the absolute star on that list, for you. Your 3.0 GPA is low for them, but your LSAT is in their range, and if you write a good application, it's a reach but a possible. That school absolutely should be on your list. It's very well ranked, and its grads get good jobs. For fit schools, I think St. Johns is the most realistic. For backups - I think you should apply to *all* the backups I listed.

I would not have you look at any law school that isn't ABA accredited.

Look at the US News "Best Grad Schools" annual for rankings of law schools - and pay attention to their average GPA and LSATs of admitted students. That will help guide you to the schools you have the best shot at.

• Amy H

Your GPA and LSAT score matter most. I'm not familiar with the NYC area but I would suggest checking out usnews.com they have a list of all the accredited law schools. Once you find a school in your area, I would suggest checking their website. They usually post their current students' average GPA and LSAT scores. If you're interested in going to any school there are always unaccredited schools. They aren't prestigious but will "teach" the bar exam so their students can pass. They will probably be more limited in resources too.

Good luck!