Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 decade ago

How do you remove oil paint from carpeting?

This is artist's oil paint from a tube. The carpet is your basic, beige pile.

Best Answer

You will need to get some acetone (nail polish remover) or paint thinner or remover. Work at it with a disposable rag until it's off. You may have to soak the rag, and then pinch the paint and hold it for a while until it softens. Then clean the area with oxyclean and water. If you have a shampooer do the whole room. If not, get a shop vac and rinse while sucking up the moisture. Ventilate the room well. The problem with the chemicals, besides odors and fumes, is that it may change the color of the carpet, but it might still look better than a glob of green or red in the middle of the floor. If necessary, cut out the fibers with the worst stains working carefully so as not to leave a completely bald spot.

Next time, though, put down a piece of cardboard under the paint. I save the cardboard trays water bottles come in for anything I have to carry that I don't want to see on the floor.

We have an oil stain on our carpet from previous owners. I have tried everything to get it off. It won't. We have an area rug over it for now. It is a very large stain. We even thought of replacing the area of carpet but it is in an area that we can't. So laminate is our next move.

The only thing you can try is

make a paste of oxiclean crystal and water and put it on the paint lay a white towel on top and let set for a while. You may have to do this a few days. It took 3 days to get hair dye out of my carpet. BUT it came out!!!