How do Rent to Own Homes work?

I live in Pennsylvania and I was wondering if you are in a contract for a Rent-to-Own home if you decide you don't want to purchase the house can you get out of it and how? Are there penalties that you would have to pay? The reason I am asking is because my boyfriend and I just became engaged and well he... show more I live in Pennsylvania and I was wondering if you are in a contract for a Rent-to-Own home if you decide you don't want to purchase the house can you get out of it and how? Are there penalties that you would have to pay? The reason I am asking is because my boyfriend and I just became engaged and well he wanted to buy a house but I don't think that either of us are ready to buy yet. I'd rather rent to get comfortable with having all of the bills. Also his credit isn't good at all so there's no way he'd be able to put his name on any kind of mortgage and I don't want to buy something that I cannot afford on my own so I'd rather feel safe than be sorry later if you know what I mean. So I need a few more details about rent-to-own in pennsylvania. I read the laws about it, but that doesn't give much information about if the leasee decideds they don't want the property. Any help would be great!!!
3 answers 3