Can anyone identify this spider? (Picture link included)?

I live outside Rochester, NY, which is in the northwest area of NY. These spiders (there's only one in the pic though) are usually black, or appear to be black. As you can see, my flash shines off of its body. They don't appear to be hairy to me. We get them in the house, and this one was on the floor metal plate between my mudroom and garage in the doorway. There is a large rusty nail head seen in the pic, and a blue balloon in the top area. I couldn't measure it...but I believe it was about 2 inches from tip of front leg to tip of back leg. One person suggested a wolf spider, but I dunno. Here is the link: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/myimages2005... Thanks in advance.

I know black widows. I used to live in Virginia and South Carolina. This isn't an orb spider, doesn't have any colors, and is huge compared to a black widow. Plus we're in New York.

No distortion of picture. x.x It was seriously freaky. I had to cover my mouth so I didn't scream too loud (I'm terrified of spiders). Hyperventilation and all that fun stuff. It was HUGE. 2 inches or so. Which doesn't sound big until you see it in person. I sent the picture into Whatsthatbug.com and another site, but the other site suggested a wolf spider. I've seen other black spiders running around in my house that are smaller. I really need to figure out what these are because black house spiders are toxic. Not lethal but they'll make you really sick, and I have 2 small children. I think Orkin will be paying us a visit in the near future.

• Favorite Answer

First I would have said it's a Black House spider, but it is way to big to be one of those, unless the picture is distorted.

Then I would have said a Mouse spider, but I don't see prominent fangs, and the back end does not look large enough. Also, I don't think they are common in New York.

Then I would have said some type of female Trap door spider, but they aren't in NY either.

Then I stumbled upon this picture

http://severinghaus.org/pictures/nature/fauna/arth...

It kind of looks like your spider and (like the first answerer stated) it could be a Wolf spider.

If all else fails, post a picture on this site, maybe it could be of more help.

http://www.spideridentification.org/

: ) Happy trails.

• judy

Mouse Spider Pictures

could be a labyrinth spider. i'm offering a link which you would be able to look because of the fact the pictures you supply are puzzling to benefit to those i got here upon. word too that one and all spiders are poisonous to a minimum of one degree or yet another. This one, even if, i do no longer believe could reason you issues.

• I live in Rochester NY and I too have seen this spider inside and outside of my house. They are fairly big for your average house spider. I absolutely hate spiders to begin with and I too will be calling Orkin!

Looks like either a window black lace weaver spider or a woodlouse spider.

Definitely looks like a wolf spider to me.

if it has red on the belly DO NOT TOUCH IT it will kill you

it a black widow and are deadly to people

kill it

I'm not sure what it is, but be careful. I hope its not poisounos, but you can neverknow.