Max M asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 decade ago

I have an MS word doc that contains special characters that look fine when on my PC but go missing on my Mac.?

When I say "special characters," I mean pronunciation marks such as in the word "àep-sôn." The Word doc is in Times New Roman, and everything looks fine when the doc is viewed on my PC (running the current version of Windows, with MS Office 2007), but when I open the file on my Mac (running Tiger, MS Word 2007), all of those marks go missing, replaced by one of those little boxes which indicate that the glyph is missing. Any idea why? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

A few ideas...

1. Do you have the "exact" same font loaded, on the Mac as on the PC?

There are so many version of Times New Roman, that its a huge headache for desktop publisher and printing companies.

For example here at work, my Mac has Times New Roman, Times New Roman PS, Times New Roman PSMT, Times NR MT. And they are all slightly different. Some may or may not have all necessary glyphs, etc.

2. Thats just the nature of the beast in dealing with MS Word on a Mac and a PC. I know that doesnt help solve your problem. But PC fonts have glyphs that some Mac fonts just dont have. Weird I know, but I run into that quite often.

Source(s): Pre-press mgr. for a printing company 22+ years.

I only have a son, so I am not really qualified to say. I do know that I would also lay down my life for him, and there is a bond there that I can't imagine having with anyone else. I sort of wanted a girl, but I see my sister with her daughters and I recognize a sort of a different closeness. I can't put it into words either, bc I am not in her shoes. There is a protectiveness I have around my boy that I see expressed differently with her and her girls. And I am so so glad now that I have my son, and that I had not just a boy, but this boy. I don't know, and I have no idea how many moms out there have this feeling. These are my thoughts to share. Ciao, Lady Morgana