Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

In WWII Movies, Why Do The Germans Always Speak English, But With A German Accent?

Why not just have them speak english, or german with subtitles. It is the silliest thing, and every time I see it, it cracks me up, nazis speaking english with a german accent. Why'd they do that?

31 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Every so often you see a movie that has subtitles, but generally audiences don't like that sort of thing. Sometimes they give a few sentences in German, and then let the "translation" take over and have them speak English. That's even funnier, if you think about it.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Many of the WWII movies made just after the war such as The Longest Day did have Germans speaking german with subtitles. This gave the film a very authentic feel.

The same for Tora tora tora in which Japanese Naval personnel all spoke japanese with subtitles.

A bigger problem, In my opinion, is the trend of recent Hollywood war movies to rewrite history to make the Americans appear to have taken part in actions that had nothing to do with them. Examples are U571 in which Jon Bon Jovi captures the enigma code machine from the Germans. In reality this was the British and Objective Burma in which Errol Flynn relieves Burma from Japanese occupation when in fact no americans were fighting in Burma at all.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Cracks me up too. It's the attitude that if they dumb down a movie enough, the biggest and lowest common denominator intelligence-wise will also watch the movie without stumbling over the subtitles, which makes for a bigger box office. The better WWII movies DO have the actors speaking German. It's kind of like canned laughter - Hollywood assumes you're too dumb to get the joke unless they cue the laugh track for ya.

• 1 decade ago

Good point. Because they are often made by Americans and they want to give it the German feel without making the audience have to read the subtitles. Movie: Downfall. It's German with English subtitles.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Because it's easier for English to be spoken with an accent then to find good German actors and then put money into making subtitles.

• Sharon
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I cannot think of any German-accent movies. If I remember correctly than Austria is relatively close to Germany, so why not check out the Sound of Music?

• 1 decade ago

as well as russians speaking english with a russian accent. Lol i hate it too, but how else would they do it?

Subtitles - few people like

No accent - seems not authentic

Foreign tongue - how can you understand?

Its even funnier if you know the language, because in some movies the actors actually have to speak it - but since theyre all hollywood or whatever, they cant really do it well so it sounds like theyre mumbling mumbo jumbo that vaguely resembles what it should be. (in some movies its authentic, so im not attacking all hollywood movies)

• 1 decade ago

It's simpler that way, and the alternatives are not all that great. Dubbing is awkward, and gives even the artsiest movie a "Kung Fu Theater" feel. Subtitles distract from the imagery, and are often hard to read.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There is no German actor involved. All are Americans actors

act as German bad solider

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

stupid american people dont want to / cant read.. and if they spoke english without accent htey would be english in a german uniform. its in majority of films. foreign people speak english with accent even if theres no one else around.. its kind of stupid but it doesnt bother me much

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.