Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 decade ago

How can I encourage potty training?

My daughter is 2 and a 1/2 yrs old. She has gone from being very interested to not interested at all with potty training, she knows exactly when she needs to pee before she does and stays dry for a long time. She was doing great and then all of a sudden she lost interest and gave up, I am confused if she knows that she needs to go why does she refuse to now? I don't want to force her to do it even though I know she knows when to go. Any tips on how I can help her stay focused and interested without force?

Nothing put down that I haven't tried already or/and still do. But thnx for your input to the question so far.

Favorite Answer

My daughter only wanted to use a real toilet. I researched and found a very sturdy stool with sides for the toilet for safety and so she could hold on without touching the toilet. http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Child-Corporation-TPS-...

She was able to completely relax and she was potty trained right away. This stool made all the difference and was well worth it. Hope this helps.

We made it fun. If I go potty, baby goes, too. We sing a potty song. We flush and say bye-bye. Then, we get one m&m. It is a lot of work, but way better than changing a diaper. I was worried about making too much of it, my kid just turned 3 and she uses the potty by herself when she needs to and doesn't even ask. Now, I have to figure out how to get her to put her clothes back on ;)

I brought these little things to put in the potty cant remember what they are called and he loved going to the point where after 4days he never worre a nappy agin you can get them in any supermarket and only about 99p so not expensive just maes them wanna go...

Let her see you going. Kids that age love to imitate their parents. Also, with my son, he wouldn't go poo poo in the potty, so when he would go in his pants, we would have him walk with us over to the potty, and put in the potty, and then we would sing a bye bye song to it. Then, he got to flush it (which he loved doing). Hope this helps!

The way i helped my sister was i gave rewarded her every time she made it to the bathroom but when she didn't i just encouraged her to keep trying.

keep reminding her at regular intervals to go to the bathroom to pee. praise her when she does that.

Source(s): http://www.learning-graph.com/ which has excellent resources for children activities, recipes, potty training, and discipline.