promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Can recruits allowed to own their own firearms on base, or take them with them when they are deployed overseas

I was looking into getting AFCS 1A7X1, Aerial Gunner Apprentice. And I was looking at getting stationed at Kedena over in Japan. I know for a fact that you cannot own a firearm in Japan, but if I was based over in Lackland in Texas, could I legally own a gun on base?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • rec
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

you can bring your gun on base with authorization, and it has to be kept in a certain area and only used in a certain area - you cant keep it on you ('strapped'). You have the right to own a weapon, so if you live in the barracks it will probably stay in the weapons room or somwhere at your unit where it will be accounted for and locked.

you definately cannot bring your own firearm overseas on deployment.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Annie
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

YOu will not be allowed to use your own firearm as your duty weapon. Stateside, you can own firearms, but they must be properly licensed and registered with the base as well. Overseas is another issue. Generally, you are not allowed to transport personal weapons internationally, so you will not be allowed to bring handguns or hunting rifles with you when you leave the US..both for duty stations and deployments. Japan has very strict laws on gun ownership and possession and the military has a strong record of supporting local jurisdiction when military break laws off base, so I wouldn't even suggest trying it. Addtionally, the military will follow any local laws concerning gun ownsership, licensing, if certain types of weapons or ammo are not legal in an area and trigger locks, so be sure to find out the laws concerning ownership whenever you move to a new base. One other thing...in Japan they have extremely realistic pellet and airsoft weapons available. While we were there, possesing these toys was not allowed...you couldn't have them on base and because of the laws in the US that require toy/sport pellet guns to be marked in such a way as to be easily differentiated as a toy, you can not bring them back into the states when you come back.

• AD
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The US usually respects the laws of the host nation and more than likely you won't be able to have a firearm there at all. Just to be sure, you can contact someone in the military that has better knowledge to clarify the subject. Stateside, you can have it on base but it must be locked up in the unit arms room with the other government weapons. If you deploy to a combat zone, General Order Number 1 prohibits you from bringing a personal weapon.

• 1 decade ago

Recruits cannot take firearms to basic training. After graduation, you can take firearms on base, but you must immediately check them into the armory.

You're far better off leaving them at home. Taking a weapon overseas creates another set of problems especially countries where guns are very strictly controlled (like Japan and Great Britain). Kadena (actually in Okinawa which is a possession of Japan like Guam and Puerto Rico are for the US) is on a very small island where there is no hunting, so what would you need a personal weapon for?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Once you are permanent party at a duty station in the U.S. you can own but not store handguns individually on base. If you are over a certain rank and live in individual housing you can own and keep rifles and shot guns in your home at many bases. Handguns are checked in and out of the base security armory and they keep a separate storage area for privately owned guns and you must have a firearms safety course card and also meet all the local state requirements for that base. Individuals below a certain rank that live in what they refer to as "shared quarters" are only allowed to store their weapons in that separate area of the armory and must check them in and out when wanting to go hunting or target shooting. Taking your guns overseas is almost never done as many countries have laws against that with the exception being shot guns which are used for skeet and trap shooting and some countries allow it and others don't and many bases have their own gun clubs and skeet and trap ranges.

• 1 decade ago

The USAF requires that all firearms in base housing be kept at the Armory. Can a military member own a firearm? Yes. Can they keep it base housing? No. However if you live off base then the Military has no say in your storage.

• 1 decade ago

Speaking from my own expierence, I was stationed on MCBH Hawaii and we were allowed to have our own personal firearms on base, but they were to be stored at a special location(armory) and only used at the gun range. They weren't allowed to be kept in your barracks at anytime, if found on inspection the situation will get sticky real quick. I would check into at your duty station.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I would ask someone who has been there or more specifically ask someone above me in rank where to resolve this issue. They should know where to send you if they don't know the answer. Frankly, having been in the military- I haven't seen anyone but the guards have guns on base. Your base should have a rule book, that should say if it is allowed. I am doubting it would be and would advise you to not pursue it.

• hayner
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

a individual like me could think of why the firearms have been invented, that's turning out to be psychological ailment, properly see the case in canada, UAS, US, firearms are turning out to be problemes on the age of 10 12, that too at college, If i given of challenge, i could quite grasp all the wepons and destory them for ever, after all that's a existence killing, sidestep it

• Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

OCONUS: no personally owned weapons allowed, period.

CONUS: base policy. some only allow you to store them at the armory and you must check it out. Others do not allow them on base period.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.