how can i train a two year old who cries on the potty?

Favorite Answer

My son and daughter wanted to use a real toilet so I researched and found a sturdy stool with sides for the toilet for safety and so they could hold on the whole time without touching the toilet. http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Child-Corporation-TPS-...

My kids loved being independent and I knew they were safe and secure. This stool made all the difference and was well worth it. Hope this helps.

Here's what worked with my step son. Everytime my husband or I went to the bathroom we took him in with us. Sometimes we'd bring in books, or toys for him while he sat there. And we always let him know what he would get as a treat when he did go potty. It worked really well and he was pretty much potty trained during the day (still had accidents at night) in a couple of weeks.

You gotta have alot of patience cause they're not goint o learn overnight. By one of those potty thats animated with sounds, and let him/her play with it. Show her books or dolls that is on the potty. Let them watch YOU ont eh potty makes a big difference, and tell them what your doing. "Mom going pee/poop" and the more familiar the are with the action, the faster they'll learn. I tried saying every once in awhile to my daughter who is almost 2 and already almost potty trained, " Oh no, you went pee/poop in your diaper!, You gotta go use the potty like a big girl".. i didn't force it, she'll learn.

Over emphasize how good he is doing while on it---praise praise praise----but most importantly--some kind of reward system--thats how I did it and I had to try 3 different ones.

1) a nickel and tell him he gets to buy a toy

2) stickers and at the end of the day or week a present (dollar store) the younger he is he needs immediate gratification so waiting till end of week might be too long

3) give him some fake money like 10 nickels and when he has a booboo in pants he gives you a nickel but of course if he tries to go to bathroom but has an accident he keeps it

What worked best was putting mine in underwear and if she did it on herself we went to the toilet over and over and I sat her up on it for 2 min even though she already went and praise her for "going a little bit" clapped hands made a big deal--and the toy at the end of day helped

Wait a month and try again. You should never force your children to potty train if they aren't ready. Try one day a month then let them be until the next month.

give the child a reward if they go to the bathroom without crying. A stamp, sticker, or a cookie something like that.

He/she is probably not ready to train yet. There is no reason to push this along. Children will do things when they are ready to do them.

AWW poor kid

give him or her a toy to hold while doing his or her business

Ummmmm....(maybe he can't push it out).....