Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

anybody know any number tricks think of a number 1-10 or 1-any number ?

1-10 or 1-any number tricks

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

1) pick a number from 1-10

2) subtract 5

3) multiply by 3

4) square the number (multiply by the same number)

5) Sum the digits.

(i.e. 646+4=10)

6) if the number is less than 5, add five. Otherwise subtract 4.

7) multiply by 2

8) subtract 6

9) Map the digit to a letter in the alphabet

(e.g.1=A, 2=B, 3=C, etc...)

10) pick a name of a country that begins with that letter

11) Take the second letter in the country name and think of a animal that begins with that letter

12) Go to the 4th letter in the animal's name and choose a colour which starts with that letter

s

c

r

o

l

l

d

o

w

n

a

b

i

t

You have a pink elephant from Denmark

In case anyone's wondering how this works there is an explanation below. I've left some space in case anyone doesn't want to find out.

1) pick a number from 1-10

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

2) subtract 5

-4 -3 -2 -1 0 1 2 3 4 5

This step helps to make things symetrical so that the squares come out the same. (n^2 = (-n)^2)

3) multiply by 3

-12 -9 -6 -3 0 3 6 9 12 15

All multiples of 3 have their digits adding up to a multiple of 3. I can't remember the proof but I have seen one. The exception being 3*0 because 0 is strange.

4) square the number (multiply by the same number)

144 81 36 9 0 9 36 81 144 225

This gets rid of the negatives and also ensures that everything can be written as X*(9). This is because you can break any number down into it's prime factors and then multiply them together again in any order.

e.g 15 = (5*3)

Therefore 15^2 = (5*3)^2 = (5^2)*(3^2) = 25 * 9 = 225.

5) Sum the digits.

9 9 9 9 0 9 9 9 9 9

Multiples of 9 when they have their digits summed come out to a multiple of 9. When all the prime factors involved are <10 it comes out to exactly 9. (I really hope their is a mathmetician reading this as I'd love to be reminded of the proof.)

6) if the number is less than 5, add five. Otherwise subtract 4.

5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5

A cunning trick used because you know that you will only get 0 and 9. By phrasing it that way it appears to be randowm but is actually set to ensure all the numbers are the same. From there you can do what you want with them and many variations are around.

7) multiply by 2

10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10

8) subtract 6

4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4

9) Map the digit to a letter in the alphabet

D D D D D D D D D D

10) pick a name of a country that begins with that letter

From here on it makes some assumptions. There aren't many countries begining with D (Denmark Djibouti Dominica Dominican Republic (from http://www.flags.net))./ Of these most people have only heard of / can only think of quickly Denmark. If they don't this doesn't work.

11) Take the second letter in the country name and think of a animal that begins with that letter

That is E. Animals begining with E are quite rare. The only one most can think of is an Elephant. Other choices are Eel, Elk, Echidna and possibly some others. Eel and Elk don't have enough letters for the next part and very few have heard of echidnas.

12) Go to the 4th letter in the animal's name and choose a colour which starts with that letter

Assumiong the go for Elephant you have colours begining with P. Most people either go for Pink or Purple.

Source(s): Angel Pie Brain
  • 1 decade ago

Here's a good one I created (copyright guys - credit doctorbarry1947 if you use it !)

- the beauty is they never tell you their answer and you still guess their number !

ask:

1) even number BETWEEN 1 and 10

2) halve it

3) multiply result by 22

4) double the answer

5) add the digits together of what you've got

6) multiply the answer by 11

"don't tell me - just keep remembering your answer"

Now:

if they take their time to answer step 4) - they started with 6 or 8, if they're fast - it was 2 or 4

then,

if they take their time to answer step 6) - they started with 4 or 8, if they're fast - it was 2 or 6

by elimination you get their number.

i.e. fast at 4) and 6) = 2 (final answer 88)

fast at 4) and slow at 6) = 4 (final answer 176)

slow at 4) and fast at 6) = 6 (final answer 55)

slow at 4) and slow at 6) = 8 (final answer 154)

- don't be afraid to list the sums and the answers on a piece of card - best if answers are in faint pencil only you can see.

- don't be afriad to give them pen and paper to work them out, but not a calculator.

Say 'take your time' etc if they struggle, explain that the difficult calculations help transmit the number to you.

Cheers,

Doctorbarry1947.

Source(s): own creation. Doctorbarry1947.
  • 1 decade ago

Think of a number.

1. Multiply that number by 4

2. Add 2

3. Divide by 2

4. Subtract 1

5 Divide by 2 again.

Did you reach your original number?

-----

EDIT:

Think of a number.

1. Square it

2. Add twice its value

3. Add 1

4. Take the square root of that number

5. Subtract 1

Did you reach your original number?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.