Jaim asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Good movies...?

I'm going to the store to buy some movies today. I want to get some good movies, ones worth buying versus just renting. What are some good movies you would recommend (my movie store has almost every movie under the sun, not just new ones)?

If it helps, some of my favorite movies are Titanic, V for Vendetta, any Ed Norton movie, Catch Me If You Can, and Into the Wild. As you can see, I like a wide range of movies.

Also, my mom may be coming with me, so no R-rated movies or something she may question me watching (she's pretty cool for the most part. like, she got v for vendetta for me, but still...).

Also, I hate horror movies.

Favorite Answer

Ed Norton movies are fabulous! I have some movies you may be interested in buying that fit your genre:

No particular order but I am including a summary so you can decide which ones you like"

SIMON BIRCH: Even though Simon Birch is the smallest kid in town, deep down he knows that he was born to do something big! He's on a constant search to discover his destiny, but somehow manages to find nothing but trouble! Meanwhile, Simon's loyal best friend, Joe (Joseph Mazzello is searching for the identity of his father, a secret his beautiful mother (Ashley Judd) has guarded Joe's entire life.

TERMS OF ENDEARMENT: Aurora and Emma are mother and daughter who march to different drummers. Beginning with Emma's marriage.

THE EVENING STAR: Continuing the story of Aurora Greenway in her later years. After the death of her daughter, Aurora struggled to keep her family together.

P.S. I LOVE YOU: A young widow discovers that her late husband has left her 10 messages intended to help ease her pain and start a new life.

DRAGONFLY: A grieving doctor is being contacted by his late wife through his patients near death experiences.

JACK: Because of an unusual aging disorder that has aged him four times faster than a normal human being; a boy enters the fifth grade for the first time with the appearance of a 40-year-old man. Stars Robin Williams, Diane Lane, Bill Cosby, Brian Kerwin and Jennifer Lopez.

NO RESERVATIONS (2007): The life of a top chef changes when she becomes the guardian of her young niece. Catherine Zeta-Jones, Aaron Eckhart and Abigail Breslin.

50 FIRST DATES: Henry Roth (Adam Sandler) is a man afraid of commitment up until he meets the beautiful Lucy (Drew Barrymore). They hit it off and Henry think he's finally found the girl of his dreams, until he discovers she has short-term memory loss and forgets him the very next day.

HEAD OVER HEELS: A young woman is attracted to a man despite her thinking she's seen him kill someone. Stars Monica Porter and Freddie Prinze Jr.

THE FAMILY STONE: An uptight, conservative, businesswoman accompanies her boyfriend to his eccentric and outgoing family's annual Christmas celebration and finds that she's a fish out of water in their free-spirited way of life.

NOTTING HILL: Can the most famous film star in the world fall for just an ordinary guy? The life of a simple bookshop owner changes when he meets the most famous film star in the world. Stars Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant.

MONSTER IN LAW: The love life of Charlotte is reduced to an endless string of disastrous blind dates, until she meets the perfect man, Kevin. Unfortunately, his merciless mother will do anything to destroy their relationship. Stars Jennifer Lopez and Jane Fonda.

SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE: A swinger on the cusp of being a senior citizen with a taste for young women falls in love with an accomplished woman closer to his age. Stars Jack Nicholson, Amanda Pete and Diane Keaton.

ACTION/DRAMA

THE GAME: Wealthy financier Nicholas Van Orton gets a strange birthday present from wayward brother Conrad: a live-action game that consumes his life.

LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD (3rd in the trilogy): John McClane takes on an Internet-based terrorist organization that is systematically shutting down the United States. Bruce Willis, Justin Long and Timothy Olyphant.

FLIGHTPLAN: A claustrophobic, Hitchcockian thriller. A bereaved woman and her daughter are flying home from Berlin to America. At 30,000 feet the child vanishes and nobody admits she was ever on that plane. Stars Jodie Foster, Peter Sarsgaard and Sean Bean.

ABSOLUTE POWER: The President believes that everything he does is beyond reproach, including an affair or two. That leads to murder and everyone around him is involved. There is only one witness, a thief named Luther Whitney. They are sure he'll talk, but when? The Secret Service is determined to keep him quiet, but catching a thief isn't always easy.

DISTURBIA (2008): A teen living under house arrest becomes convinced his neighbor is a serial killer.

HIDALGO: Set in 1890, this is the story of a Pony Express courier (Vigo Mortensen) who travels to Arabia to compete with his horse, Hidalgo, in a dangerous race for a massive contest prize, in an adventure that sends the pair around the world.

THE ITALIAN JOB: A gang of robbers, lead by career criminal Charlie Croker, create the largest traffic jam in Los Angeles history, giving them time to pull off a theft of gold bullion. They get away in their Mini Coopers, which are small enough to drive on sidewalks so they can make a clean get away before the traffic jam clears.

THE KINGDOM (2008): After a terrorist attack to an American housing compound in Saudi Arabia, where families and the spy Francis Manner are murdered, FBI agent Ronald Fleury blackmails the South Arabian consul to get five days of investigation in the location. He travels with agent Grant Sykes, Janet Mayes and Adam Leavitt to revenge their friend and try to find the responsible for the bombing. Stars Jamie Foxx, Chris Cooper, Jennifer Garner and Jason Bateman.

ABOVE SUSPICION: A Cop is paralyzed in a shooting and unable to walk. His misfortune brings him sympathy, which he uses to devise a plan to rid himself of his unfaithful wife and her lover.

HIGH CRIMES: High-powered lawyer Claire Kubik finds her world turned upside down when her husband, who she thought was Tom Kubik, is arrested and is revealed to be Ron Chapman. Chapman is on trial for a murder of Latin American villagers while he was in the Marines. Stars Ashley Judd, Morgan Freeman and James Caviezel.

THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW: A climatologist tries to figure out a way to save the world from abrupt global warming. He must get to his young son in New York, which is being taken over by a new ice age. Stars Dennis Quaid, Selma Ward and Jake Gyllenhaal.

LADDER 49: Under the watchful eye of his mentor Captain Mike Kennedy (John Travolta), probationary firefighter Jack Morrison (Joaquin Phoenix) matures into a seasoned veteran at a Baltimore fire station.

THE RUNDOWN: A tough aspiring chef is hired to bring home a mobster's son from the Amazon but becomes involved in the fight against an oppressive town operator and the search for a legendary treasure.

THE SCORE: An aging thief hopes to retire and live off his ill-gotten wealth when a young kid convinces him into doing one last heist. - Ed Norton movie!

MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA: Nitta Sayuri reveals how she transcended her fishing-village roots and became one of Japan's most celebrated geisha.

SHOOTER (2007): A marksman (Mark Wahlberg) living in exile is coaxed back into action after learning of a plot to kill the president. Ultimately double-crossed and framed for the attempt, he goes on the run to track the real killer and find out who exactly set him up, and why.

SIGNS: After Graham Hess (Mel Gibson) a minister and family man, loses his wife, he quits his job and questions his faith. Six months later, Graham is living with his brother Merill (Joanquin Phoenix) and two children, living in rural Buck County. When they wake up one day, they discover 500-foot long crop circles in their front-yard. The kids think it is extra-terrestrials, Merill think its pranksters, and Graham is not quite sure.

Source(s): - LOOKS LIKE A BOOK BUT THESE ARE FROM YM MOVIE DATA BASE - MY FAVES!!! Enjoy!

Reservoir Dogs Pulp Fiction Batman Begins 28 Days Later Kill Bill 2 Eastern promises BQ : Dont Have Any New Movie Plans. But I'll Watch Inception Again BQ 2 - Hopefully Yes.

Here are just a few.

*The Princess Bride (1987)

*About a Boy (2002)

*Love Actually (2003) R

*Sabrina (1954)

*Singin' in the Rain (1952)

*Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) R

The Birdcage (1996)

Hot Fuzz (2007)

Snatch (2000)

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)

The Importance of Being Earnest (2002)

Roman Holiday (1953)

Starter for Ten (2007)

Zodiac (2007)

Across the Universe

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Rocky Horror Picture Show

Rent

Chicago

Drowning Mona

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

But Im a Cheerleader

Imagine Me and You

Cube

Mixed Nuts

The Chumscrubber

Blue Juice

Blue Crush

Zorro

Josie and the Pussy Cats

LA Confidential

Fight Club

Primal Fear

Jumper

TThe Shawshank Redemption

Seven

Memento

Usual Suspects

Batman Begins

Blades of Glory

Blade Runner

Forrest Gump

Stand by Me

The Breakfast Club

Transformers

Oooh! I love Into the Wild, Titanic, and V for Vendeta.

Well, here's a few I recently watched that I really really liked.

- Sweeney Todd. A must see for anyone. Trust me.

- Brokeback Mountain. Not sure what your status on this would be, but I liked it as a movie.

-Memoirs of a Geisha. Wow, just wow. Get this one!

-There Will Be Blood. Some people might say it's boring and drawn out, but I like it.

-The Pursuit of Happyness. It's a Will Smith movie, and it's definately a must see for anyone that likes inspiring movies. It's about a guy who somehow ended up homeless, but he found a way to make a living for him and his son. BUY IT.

-I Am Legend. I had to watch it, because I'm a huge Will Smith fan. Pretty good, as far as zombie apocolypse movies go.

-A fun movie to watch with your mom would definately be Blues Brothers. Me and my mom recently watched it. It is hilarious.

-iRobot. Maybe it's just me, but I really love this movie, and Will Smith. Watched it with a friend about a year ago and loved it!

-Hair. I'm not sure if you will be able to find this. It's an adaptation of a play, about hippies. It sounds stupid, but you simply HAVE to see this. It's a musical, but it's really an amazing movie. If you can find it, it's a buyer!!

Out of all those, the must buyers I would say would be Sweeney Todd, Pursuit of Happyness, Blues Brothers, and Hair (and possibly iRobot, if your budget ain't too tight!). I am 99.99% sure you will enjoy these. None of them have explicit material, except Brokeback Mountain of course, but the rest would be fine to watch with your momma. Oh, and someone else mentioned Transformers. You may want to buy it, it is NOT what you will be expecting. One of the best movies of the year?

Source(s): Wow, that was long, but they're definately ones you have to see, and some of them ones to buy! Enjoy them, I love them!!!

american history x

carlito's way

godfather

hurricane

training day

21 gramms

requiem for a dream

memento

run lola run

the assassination of richard nixon

blow

25th hour

the score

dirty harry

the pianist

annie hall

manhattan

match point

the painted veil

the departed

blood diamond

atonement

green mile

the gangs of NY

forest gump

monster

monster's ball

the interpreter

12 monkeys

as good as it gets

eastern promises

chinatown

prizzi's honor

One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest

goodfellas

apocalypse now

platoon

born on the 4th of july

a beautiful mind

half nelson

lars and the real girl

the notebook

rebel without a cause

casablanca

'The Kingdom' (a friendly baseball game turns into a war-zone)

'Disappearance' (a family vacation goes wrong when they explore a ghost town out in nevada and their suv brakes down)

'Norbit' (funny funny Eddie Murphy Eddie Murphy)

errm i hope you enjoy

Disturbia

10.ooo BC

The notebook

I'm not a very big movie person, but last night me and a couple of girlfriends rented P.S I love you, and we cried! It was fantastic!

*ever after

*schindlers list

*gone with the wind

*North

*Whitefang

*Toy

*she's all that

i'm drawing a blank! sorry. :)