Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 decade ago

My daughter screams when going to the potty, why?

My daughter is potty training right now (she's 2) She is dry in the morning, is very verbal and does not want to wear diapers and wants to go potty. She can hold her pee and poo and refuses to go in her diaper or pull-up (unless sleeping) but here is the kicker, she freaks out and screams when she feel the urge to go. I mean a total melt down! She isn't scared of the potty or the toilet but it's like she holds it until she absolutely can't hold it any more. She is thrilled when she does go and then she is normal but the pre-potty screaming can go n for an hour. She doesn't have a bladder infection . I don't scold her for accidents and praise her or going. It's just weird. It's like she is so upset with the feeling of having to go. Any advice or common experiences?

Update: yesterday (and the previous 2 days) were hellish but today she is going just fine. She says I gotta go potty, sits down and pees. Today during her gift opening (her 2nd b-day) she got up and went potty! I guess it was just a weird phase. I hope that is the end, Thanks for the advice!

Favorite Answer

Your daughter sounds very bright and advanced for her age. I think she just doesn't understand that the urge to go to the bathroom is normal. My daughter wanted to do everything on her own and she did not want to use a potty chair so I researched and found a very sturdy stool with sides for the toilet so she would be safe and able to hold on without touching the toilet. http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Child-Corporation-TPS-...

She loved her independence and she was potty trained right away. This stool made all the difference and was well worth it. Hope this helps.

Wow, I have never heard of anything like that! Have you tried telling her if she behaves and does not scream and does not hold it, she will get a really great reward?

you should talk to a doctor, it could be something that is hurting her if she holds it till she can't any longer, and then screams