bob walker asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Sox or Sock?

I am sure that it has been addressed before, but is a single Red Sox player (or White Sox player for that matter) be referred to as a Red Sox or a Red Sock? I've been a fan a long time and I truly don't know the answer.

32 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

"Sox" is a linguistically meaningless form, but since it is also a proper name, convention (never a roadblock in English) can be tossed out the window.

The media seems to make do with "{Red/White} Sox player" most of the time -- so even the professional writers don't want to address the issue.

Personally, I think the singular form should be "Sok", because then we'd REALLY be abusing the language, bwa ha ha!

• 1 decade ago

I don't actually know. And I've wondered this before.

Because with some teams it's easy. A tiger. A D-Back. An Angel. A Yankee.

But I was thinking about this the other day, because I think Rockies is a wierd one too. A Rocky? It makes no sense. Rockies are plural mountains. You don't call Pikes Peak a rocky. It's a You use Rocky Mountain so rocky can be an adjective, but not a noun. So it's wierd to me to think of a player being a Rocky.

So, THEN that got me thinking about Red Sox and White Sox. A white sox/a red sox doesn't sound right. But A red sock/ a white sock just sounds wierd.

Interesting question.

• 1 decade ago

I have been a red sox fan since i was 5 and could fully understand the game of baseball. Somehow, i am not sure about this questions, i have never heard anyone call one single player a red sock, so i think the answer is no, but i am not to sure.

LET GO SAWKS!

• 1 decade ago

The 'politically correct' way to refer to one player on the Sox team would be just calling him 'a member of the Red (or White) Sox team.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The answer is sock. I always question it though because of the fact that sock, plurally, is socks. But I guess since sox isn't a word (in the dictionary) anything goes. But the answer is sock. Think about it either socks or sox if you have 10 of them, you take 1 away, you take 1 sock. Maybe the singular version of sox has a different spelling, I don't know but it is pronounced "sock".

• 1 decade ago

He would be a Red Sox player because that's the name of the team he's playing for.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You'll drive yourself nuts thinking about this too much.

I agree for most teams it's pretty obvious. They player is a Giant or a Yankee or a Padre or a Tiger.

What is an individual on the Oakland A's?

I think I would call someone on the Red Sox or White Sox a sock - or just avoid the issue altogether by changing the sentence's syntax to "a player on the Red Sox."

Good, thought-provoking question.

• 1 decade ago

Red Sox is the correct name

• 1 decade ago

Red Sox is the name of the team. It confused me alittle to when you mentioned it, but they dont call a single player Red sock, it just doesnt sound right to me. They would call David Ortiz of the red sox not red sock because its a team name.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sox

• 1 decade ago

I know its a Sox Player No Sock here.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.