Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

What author do you feel does not get the recognition they deserve?

While discussing books with someone from school today I was actually shocked to realize how many great authors go so unnoticed while some mediocre( and I use that term generously) authors are praised as being brilliant.

So what authors do you feel deserve more recognition?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Too many for me to name, but just because the public doesn't praise them doesn't mean I won't praise them.

• 1 decade ago

Tons! To mention one right now - Pat Murphy, for the book "The City, Not Long After." It's a really great book, but was out of print for a while. Definitely deserves more recognition!

I know what you mean by mediocre authors being praised as brilliant. *Cough* Stephenie Meyer *Cough* She's not the worst - actually pretty good - but not as good as everyone says. And yes, to the fan-girls, I have read her books.

• xo379
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Sadly...too many.

Andrew Sean Greer

Roxana Robinson

Anne Enright

Colin Toibin

Elizabeth Strout

Ann Patchett

They're recognized by very literary people, but very rarely recognized by the general public. It's sad that people read more Danielle Steele than T.S. Eliot...or someone as brilliant as Greer or Toibin. Oh well. I guess I'm just a jaded English major.

• 4 years ago

"I'm not really grouchy, I just don't like traffic, waiting, crowds, lawyers, loud music, unruly kids, barking dogs, politicians and a few other things I can't seem to remember right now. I'm sure everything I can't find is in a safe secure place, somewhere. I'm wrinkled, saggy, lumpy, and that's just my left leg. I'm having trouble remembering simple words like....... I'm sure they are making adults much younger these days. When did they let kids become policemen? I'm a walking storeroom of facts..... I've just lost the key to the storeroom. Yes, I'm a Senior Citizen and I THINK I am having the time of my life!"

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Lemony Snicket...Anthony Horowitz

• 1 decade ago

the author of blood and chocolate, Annette Curtis Klause, which was a brilliant book.

i think that that this generation is totally forgetting about the classic authors. like hemmingway, austen, hawthrone, or even mark twain.

• Leonard Michaels, one of the greatest modern American writers. He's very much in a league with Saul Bellow and Philip Roth, but it seems like not very many people know him outside of academia.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Jacqueline Carey for her brilliant Kushiel's Legacy series.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

William Hope Hodgson .

:0)

• J.K. Rowling(Just kidding). Lemony Snicket, Sarah Weeks(So B. It), Suzanne Collins(Gregor the Overlander), and so much more!

Source(s): bit from yahoo!
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.