Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

buying a hunting knife?

im looking for a new hunting knife for when i go deer hunting but i really have no idea what to look for, any tips or recommendations for a good hunting knife?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Ray
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Buy a quality knife as suggested by others (Case, Gerber, Schrade, Marble, Kershaw, Puma - etc). Don't get one with a blade that is too long and avoid "Survival Knives". A 4" blade with a "drop point and a slightly curved cutting edge is about right for deer size animals (larger blades up to 6" can be useful for larger animals such as elk and moose). The drop point will help avoid puncturing organs and the curved cutting edge is better for skinning. Get one with a design (either handle shape or guard) that will prevent your hand from sliding from the handle to the blade. I prefer one with an adequate "choil" (a dull space on the cutting edge of the blade between the guard and the sharp cutting edge so I can put a finger on both sides of the guard. When cutting inside the deer (to loosen the entrails where you can't see) lay your index finger along the top edge and use your finger to guide the knife.

The small saw blade on a "multi-tool" can be used for limited bone sawing (such as the pelvis and sternum) and I once even used the small knife on one for field dressing.

I've also used the Outdoor Edge "Game Skinner" knife successfully to field dress and skin (it is an excellent skinning knife), however it's shape is less useful for other hunting relating cutting, so I would not recommend it as unless another knife is also carried.

Source(s): Fifty years of big game hunting experience during which I've used a variety of knives from pocket knives to 6" blades to field dress (and in some cases debone) many deer size and larger animals.
  • Don
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I've always liked the Old Timer knives. They make one just for hunting. The steel is mild, and easy to put a razor edge on, and it is heavy enough to pry joints apart with. Cutting bones is best done with a bone saw, not a serrated knife.

• 1 decade ago

Check out the link. I have the one without the gut hook. It's been a great knife. It's got a carbon steel blade that is easy to sharpen and it stays sharp a long time. I also like the rubber grip.

• 1 decade ago

A drop point blade makes gutting a deer a little easier. With a drop point it is not as easy to cut the organs open when you are opening its gut. QA gut hook also makes this easier for some people. Any well known brand will last a long time if you take are of it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

invest is a better term for a hunting knife and Buck has the answer

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Gerber Gater w/ Guthook. Gerber also makes a wide variety of other hunting supplies.

Source(s): It's what I've been usin for the past 6yrs. www.gerber-store.com
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Good Recommendations so far.

I also recommend paying a few extra dollars for premium steel.

I personally prefer Gerber and Kershaw.

Cheers,

Greg Jackson

Tigard, OR

http://www.JaxonsGottaGun.com

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Make sure it has a curved, sharp tip/point for tearing flesh and also a seraded edge for cutting bone, meat, etc.

• 1 decade ago

LISTEN TO DON!!!!! ditto to don and+1 too

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.