Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareOther - Hardware · 1 decade ago

Problem With Video Card While Gaming.?

Thank you for helping.

To start things out, I'm way more of a Software type guy, then I am Hardware, so I don't know much at all what the problem could be.

My PC runs games just fine, and I only run across this problem once in awhile.

Example: When I'll play Halo PC, sometimes the sound goes completely mute, whenever I fire bullets, they're black pixels, and whenever they hit the wall or something, it leaves a spinning white pixel. That, and, the explosions are a mass of pixels. Also, whenever I close out of the game, my screen resolution is really really big, sometimes slanted (easily fixed though). I can play it like that for awhile until it crashes and shows me this message.:

Direct3D 9 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code)

It also showed a similar notice message to the above: Something about my screen resolution not being supported, yet I played the game with that screen res for hours.

Wow, no idea how to reply. Anyways, I ran out of characters so I couldn't put much.

Name: Radeon 9200

Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.

Chip Type: Radeon 9200 AGP (0x5961)

DAC Type: Internal DAC (400mHz)

128mb

Current Display Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60mhz)

This isn't really a HUGE problem, but it'd be nice to be dealt with. Like I said, not good with drivers, hard drives, etc.

I just got this computer about a month ago, it's way better than my previous PC, so I have to stick with it.

Funny thing is, after I restart, it lets me play again. But It'd be really nice not to have to restart every time this happens.

Here's what the current error says when I try and open Halo.

A problem occurred initializing Direct3D. Hardware acceleration maybe disabled, please run DXDIAG.

Well, I ran DXDIAG, and it had everything enabled so..

• Mike B
    Favorite Answer

Do you know what video card you have? How old is it? You may just need to update the drivers, but depending on how old it is it may be time for an upgrade. but definately try to uninstall the Video drivers and install new ones before you think about spending money...unless you're playing on a 5 year old card.

Addition: Here is a link for the drivers.

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/radeon-prer3...

After you download the drivers I'd go to add and remove programs and remove the display drivers, then restart and install the new ones. It shouldn't be too difficult.

Your card came out around 2003. I'd really consider getting a new card. If it's not an option then try the new drivers and see how that works. If you have an air compressor I'd take your computer outside and blow it out, I'm not sure this would help, but it could be over heating.

Go here:

http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

Download the SIW stand alone. This is a good program to find out when hardware you have. Let us know what motherboard and we'll let you know what video card will work better for you. Chances are you can get something better for $50 or so.

Another addition:

try the latest directx also. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?Fa...

That is for directx 9c. 10 is out, but I don't think it'll work with your computer.

Data Recovery-

http://gigaomjob.com/

• witek

finding on what portraits card you have, you're maximum probable overworking the portraits card, and the drivers won't restoration that. to furnish you the drivers we'd desire what variety of card (video chip set incredibly) your computer has.

I cant really se the problem but try updating your graphics ca\rd drivers, and if that fails contact your graphics card manufacuturer.

***EDIT*****

Go to you game settings and try adjusting it to the correct res and if neccseary try reducing the detail of the game.