Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Buddhist, why does the foot feel the foot when it feels the ground?

"The foot feels the foot when it feels the ground." ~ Buddha

I think I understand it, to be sure, I ask your opinions, as I am frequently wrong.

Favorite Answer

Humbly, i submit: for one or the other to be known (foot or ground), there must be a union, a congruency, a coming together, a "sensing" (sensation, in this case). Without the foot being reflected back to itself, there is no awareness of its beingness. The foot, untouched, would not "be" unless it had an experience of itself, much as we "are not" (except in our conditioned duality minds only) until we fulfill our divine agency as Source, fully aligned and "conscious" of Its presence as us. i am reminded of "mindfulness," as in "chop wood, carry water," which refers to the continuation of normal activities, but in an enlightened state of mind (fully awakened). i am also, strangely enough, reminded of the movie Being John Malkovich, which has characters entering Malkovich's form and seeing through his eyes...go figure. So as i ramble, a good case for the meandering of duality mind and its random jumps here and there is made. i bow to the foot, i bow to the ground, i bow to thee, i bow to All That Is. Namaste.

i am Sirius (some of the time)

• Jett BG2 years agoReport

Yes, that’s the excellent answer. When my wife touches my hand, I’m experiencing my hand experiencing sensation. The illusion that nonetheless appears to be reality is that someone or something external to my continually awakening unborn and also undying consciousness (soul) or pure awareness is a

I remember a similar feeling the first time when I was back in college coming from class, in my car driving thinking, and suddenly realizing that the mind truly is the gateway to the soul or spirit or what have you but that force which will guide all of your intentions hereafter and based on what you will decide in so many different ways. I believe it was the day I suddenly ceased being a fundamentalist, rigid presuppositionlist, so arrogantly assuming absolute knowledge when suddenly I was struck with how ignorant and imperceptive I have been. It was the day I became an agnostic, the day when my universe, my inner reality began to expand and it has never ceased since....

I think the only possible interpretation of that is that in feeling the ground, you feel your foot feeling the ground.

It's all *energy*, tell me brother, to coin an old phrase, close your eyes, feel and tell me "where does the foot end and the ground begin"? This energy in its many forms and feelings is the enlightenment of Buddha. : )

EDIT: It's the sexual energies of male and female coming together in Tantra that make it such a complete and very fast path to enlightenment becouse this energy feels so very good. : )

its all about perception.

You cannot perceive anything without using the senses. so when you feel the ground, youre not actually feeling the ground, but youre feeling your foot feel 'something' that your brain identifies as ground. close your eyes, and walk on seashells, they might actually feel exactly the same as walking on glass. so what are you walking on?

reality is perception.

Source(s): Theravade Buddhist.
  • ?

because the ground, as an expression of foot, reflects that expression back to the foot, from which it gains awareness of itself. i think.

wonderful...

only in meeting the other, only in contact, in reflection can awareness be... self- realization, nirvana can only happen with a body-mind... otherwise awareness simply is, but not able to be aware of itself.

To me, that means that you are enlightened within yourself when you are enlightened externally. Hope that made sense..

• SteveT

To under stand anything we must feel it,

simply: awareness & realization.