Do you believe that humans are the only living beings that think and feel on a level higher than just survival

Do you think humans are the only beings that feel love, hate, nostalgia and other complex emotions or do you believe animals such as Dogs and Deer feel them too.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Other animals certainly appear to experience most of the same emotional states we do. We can't know for sure about things like nostalgia & sentimentality, though, without stepping into their brains. A large part of our emotional constituency arises from our use of language - animals have their own way of thinking, but our thoughts are generally tied to words, and that alters their impact somewhat.

So animals, imho, are more sensitive to their emotions than we are. That's why they're so much more reactive to them - they don't have "id" in their head to tell them to supress those emotions. We drown out our emotions with internal chatter, words upon words upon words. Non-linguistic animals can't do that, and so their internal states are more... "pure", I guess would be the proper word.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Oh of course not. But we are the only ones that developed language, intellect, and the utilization of complex tools. I honestly think that's the main difference.

And really, if we thought and felt on such a high level, we wouldn't be killing ourselves off by breaking down our own ecosystem. No organism does that. They fit in and live. You should see Jane Goodall's talk on www.ted.com. She goes into all the different things that apes do that are oddly the same as what we do. Even other species do exceedingly complex things. But they never destroy their home for no reason.

Another thing I think is interesting is that ever since we've been able to decode genetic sequences, we're finding that a lot of what we call "lower" organisms are genetically more complex than we are. I wonder what that means?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No. I believe animals feel emotions such as love, joy, loneliness, sadness, fear.

• NoWay
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Many primates have language skills that purvey thoughts way past pain. Dogs must feel emotion look what happens when they see your for the first time when you walk in the room. Chimps rape, kill and have wars.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • if u are talking about only beings that we know of-i would say yes. but u do understand that humans do things to increase their

"own" survival when it comes down to it

• 1 decade ago

I believe all living creatures have emotions and thought processes. Just because we may not understand what they are doesn't mean they don't exist.

• 1 decade ago

ANimals have emotions as well. They might be different than ours so it is hard to interpret.

• Rana
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

yes

• 1 decade ago

yes i do.

humans are miraculous everything else lacks what we call a soul

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yep

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.