Does it bother you when people ask to borrow things?

Because 99% of the time it goes as follows: A- You never see the item again B- You have to go and get it back from them yourself C- You get it back in much worse condition than when you gave it to them. It really bothers me when someone asks if they can borrow something so small as a DVD because I know... show more Because 99% of the time it goes as follows:
A- You never see the item again
B- You have to go and get it back from them yourself
C- You get it back in much worse condition than when you
gave it to them.

It really bothers me when someone asks if they can borrow something so small as a DVD because I know if I ever even see it again it's going to be scratched beyond play.

What makes people think others should just hand out their things. And why can't people just give things back? It makes me just want to say "No, you can't borrow that but I bought it at ______, maybe they still have some".

What are your feelings on people who ask you to borrow things? How do you tell them no while still being nice?