Why would it be necessary to do an endoscopy for acid reflux?

My girlfriend has problems with heartburn/acid reflux. Her doctor said she'd like her to go for an endoscopy. I asked the Dr, what would be done if it was found that she had acid reflux, and she said she would prescribe Nexium for it. I asked her, why bother to do the test at all, when you can just write an RX... show more My girlfriend has problems with heartburn/acid reflux. Her doctor said she'd like her to go for an endoscopy. I asked the Dr, what would be done if it was found that she had acid reflux, and she said she would prescribe Nexium for it.
I asked her, why bother to do the test at all, when you can just write an RX for Nexium and avoid the "middle man" the pain and the drugs to do this test? (I had this test done years ago and it was awful, they spray your throat with this stuff that tastes like paint, the procedure is VERY painful, and the idiots that did it kept injecting my IV with that god-awful poison Versed every time I woke up....which was 5 times during the test, choking on the tube and going into respiratory arrest. I remember not being able to talk and being in pain for days afterwards. I wouldn't want her to go through this unnecessarily, especially since she is a professional singer and can't afford to have her throat or vocal cords damaged by some moron FL doctor)
Update: I can see doing this if you suspected cancer or an ulcer or needed to do a biopsy...but for heartburn? It seems like overkill when all you can do is prescribe medication for the ailment.
Update 2: PS an endoscopy is a GREAT way to torture someone!! You have them strapped to a table, forcing a tube down their throat while they taste paint, choke, have an anxiety attack and pass out....they have their throat torn up from the test and have it close up so you can't eat lettuce, carrot shreds, popcorn,... show more PS an endoscopy is a GREAT way to torture someone!! You have them strapped to a table, forcing a tube down their throat while they taste paint, choke, have an anxiety attack and pass out....they have their throat torn up from the test and have it close up so you can't eat lettuce, carrot shreds, popcorn, etc....This is what happened to me when I had this test done....Oh and ended up with PTSD from that horrible drug Versed.