Potty training?

My daughter turns 3 in November and she's very interested in using the big girl potty. I bought her, her own potty but she prefers the big one. She can get on and off but doesn't stay still long enough to use either potty. Can any one give me some tips on potty training? I prefer personal experience over websites! Thank you

Favorite Answer

My daughter was the same way! She only wanted to use a REAL toilet. I researched and found a very sturdy stool with sides for the toilet so she could hold on the entire time without ever touching the toilet and do everything by herself. http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Child-Corporation-TPS-...

This stool made all the difference for her and she was potty trained right away. Well worth it. Hope this helps.

• Hi my girl was just over 3 when she started consistently using the potty. She never really took to a potty chair. We have two bathrooms, so got two of those little seats that fit on the regular toilet (Dora and Disney Princess theme, which she loved). I don't know if this is right or wrong, but we bribed her will treats. She would get a few M&Ms or would get to watch a video each time she peed. It worked like a charm. We also chose a long weekend and told her that she would no longer be wearing pull-ups. We took her out and just sat her on the toilet often. It worked along with a video called "Potty Power" which is actually written for "older" kids (i.e around 3 years old). We also picked out a special toy and told her she would be able to get it once she was trained. All of those things combined really helped her finish training.

My son is potty trained at two and a half. He never liked his own potty he preferred to use the grown up one. What I did was I bought a plain white plastic stool from target and put it near the toilet. I helped him get up there and he would use the potty. He liked it because his feet touched the stool and he was able to hold on to the sides of the seat (I bought a smaller seat attachment for the potty for him and he didn't like it either) and go potty. Take her every couple of hours and reinforce what a big girl she is for going to the potty. I actually like that he likes the regular potty because I know he can virtually go to the bathroom anywhere and no dumping waste into the toilet.

Source(s): Mommy of toddler

make her sit there until she does use it.... if you have her on there more then about 10 minutes then tell her to get off... then every 20 minutes or so ask if she needs to use the potty... it is many times you will ask but soon she will understand that she HAS to go in the potty.

Source(s): mother of 2

try giving her something like a special toy or a book or maybe sit on the floor next to the toliet and sing like the itsy bitsy spider or something to keep her occupied while sitting there

but be consitant have her go 15-30 mins she will eventually go in the potty use lots of encouragement and praise

Source(s): toddler teacher

i agree, you must make her sit there until she goes and if she doesn't go then you can let her get up and just keep asking her every 20-30 min. she'll eventually learn. Also, you may not like this at all but my uncle would do that to my little cousin and he refused to use the potty, he would sit on it but wouldn't go to the bathroom, really he was just being hard headed so everytime he went on himself we would spank him and make him sit on the toilet, he eventually learned that if he didn't want to get spanked then he needed to use the potty and not his drawers!! :)

when she tries to get off say no no you have to sit there until you go potty you can get off in ten minutes