PS3 only plays all games in 720p not 1080i why?

My sony PS3 plays all movies in 1080i which is the highest format my sony tv supports when however i insert and start a game it down grades to 720p and although it shows 1080i as one of the supported formats, i dont understand why and the PS3 techs dont know either, is it because 720p is in fact a higher resoulution than 1080i and to get 1080 i would have to upgrade the tv to 1080p? please help me understand what is going on, im using call of duty 4 which supports all formats up to 1080p either way all my PS3 games are playing in 720p right now any help will be greatly appreciated thank you

I KNOW IT DEPENDS ON THE GAME BUT THE GAMES I HAVE CALL OF DUTY 4 BEST GAME ALL YEAR SAYS IT SUPPORTS UP TO 1080P DOES ANY1 HAVE A GAME THAT IS PLAYING IN 720P please answer with substance not opinion please as i have spent a lot thus far trying to get true high def

Favorite Answer

720 p (pixels) is better the 1080i (interlaced) 720p and 1080p are best for gaming with the necessary speed resolution. So if your tv is only max 720p HD the game will play 720p.

When you bought your TV it was advertised as 720p HD. They don't advertise the tv as 1080i because 720p is better. Supporting outs of up 1080p is different then being 1080p.

The ps3 can upscale ps2 games to play on 1080p tvs. it doesn't mean the game is 1080p hidef.

When you configure your PS3, set it to use the max resolution supported by your TV - in this case 720p. The PS3 will then rescale the video appropriately. Using an HDMI cable is fine, it makes it easier to connect your PS3 to your TV and/or surround sound system.

PS3 are sh!t, get a xbox 360 and I play my call of duty in 1080i, or 1080p, I just don't know the difference.

It depends on the game. Most games run a maximum of 720p

Yeah, i feel ya. I somewhere read it's because of the games, not the tv or the ps3.

It's somewhat frustrating to have a nice LCD TV, hdmi cables (which ain't cheap at all), the ps3 and the games and still not be able to use all it's capabilities.

actual game play might not be 1080 i i spend over to grand on me tv to make sure i get 1080i and was pissed to find most games arent even 1080i in actual gamplay i was pissed