PS3 only plays all games in 720p not 1080i why?

My sony PS3 plays all movies in 1080i which is the highest format my sony tv supports when however i insert and start a game it down grades to 720p and although it shows 1080i as one of the supported formats, i dont understand why and the PS3 techs dont know either, is it because 720p is in fact a higher... show more My sony PS3 plays all movies in 1080i which is the highest format my sony tv supports when however i insert and start a game it down grades to 720p and although it shows 1080i as one of the supported formats, i dont understand why and the PS3 techs dont know either, is it because 720p is in fact a higher resoulution than 1080i and to get 1080 i would have to upgrade the tv to 1080p? please help me understand what is going on, im using call of duty 4 which supports all formats up to 1080p either way all my PS3 games are playing in 720p right now any help will be greatly appreciated thank you
Update: I KNOW IT DEPENDS ON THE GAME BUT THE GAMES I HAVE CALL OF DUTY 4 BEST GAME ALL YEAR SAYS IT SUPPORTS UP TO 1080P DOES ANY1 HAVE A GAME THAT IS PLAYING IN 720P please answer with substance not opinion please as i have spent a lot thus far trying to get true high def