Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

is astrology bad in the christian religion?

I must say, I am a curious person & I like to study alot of things. Astrology being one of them. I'm a christian so I wonder sometimes. Is it bad?

• TIAT
    Favorite Answer

Astrology is s sin! The Bible, God's Word, has much to say about the spiritual influences upon our life. 2nd Corinthians 10:5 tells us, "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ." Astrology exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, i.e., the Bible. We are to obey Jesus Christ, i.e., the Word of God.

Heathens love to criticize money-hungry televangelists, and they certainly are; but what about the greedy astrologers who make merchandise of people, and rake in hundreds-of-millions of dollars annually? Why don't the heathens criticize such demonic websites as astrology.com, which claims to be the "leading astrology site since 1995!" The website offers all sorts of demonic psychic readings and unbiblical advice. In case you aren't aware, astrology is a false religion--a system of beliefs based upon the planets, sun, moon, and stars. Astrologers "look to the stars" for the answers to life's questions and daily spiritual guidance...

Where the planets are at any given time have an enormous effect on your day and on the world's collective mood. Check out what each of the twelve Sun and Moon Transits portends and then drop by the Planetary Forecast daily to see exactly where the planets are.

SOURCE: http://www.astrology.com/aboutastrology/index.html

Astrology is demonic! In sharp contrast to what astrologers teach, the Word of God says... "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 2:5). Jesus never looked to the stars, or consulted with astrologers. When Jesus counseled the two men on the road to Emmaus in Luke 24:27, He didn't look at any astrological charts. Rather, we are told that Jesus expounded them with the Word of God... "And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself." How foolish it is for people today to seek spiritual guidance from God's creation, instead of from God Himself. Psalm 119:105 states... "Thy word is A LAMP unto my feet, and a light unto my path." Astrologers have absolutely no interest in what the Word of God has to say.

Astrologers are condemned in the Bible!

The Bible forbids such witchcraft. The Old Testament mentions "astrologers," and condemns them... "Stand now with thine enchantments, and with the multitude of thy sorceries, wherein thou hast laboured from thy youth; if so be thou shalt be able to profit, if so be thou mayest prevail. Thou art wearied in the multitude of thy counsels. Let now the astrologers, the stargazers, the monthly prognosticators, stand up, and save thee from these things that shall come upon thee. Behold, they shall be as stubble; the fire shall burn them..." (Isaiah 47:12-14). Astrology is straight from the pits of Hell. Did you know that modern psychology is based upon demonic astrology? Listen to what the astrologers have to say for yourself...

Astrology is not a religion or a faith. The modern science of Psychology, which is the realm in which many contemporary people explore their sprits, was born of Astrology.

SOURCE: http://goddess.astrology.com/neptune/astrology.htm...

This should be clear evidence to you why it is dangerous to seek guidance from psychologists. They are trained in heathen universities by godless professors who reject Jesus Christ and deny the Word of God. Psalm 1:1 states, "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful." Christians should not seek counsel from the unsaved world. If you do, you'll be receiving counsel from heathens who practice astrology, see no harm in abortion, participate in homosexual parades, and curse the name of God.

I also want to clarify something regarding the above quote... astrology IS A RELIGION! Ironically, the very author who made the above quote also stated the following...

In Christian religion, if you're good, you go to heaven or, if not, to hell. Some people interpret these teachings to mean the same thing as Astrology's view. If you don't fulfill your mission this time, it's harder next time (hell); if you do, you are released from that burden (heaven). Buddhist teachings are similar.

First, no one goes to Heaven because they're good. Romans 3:10-12 states that there are no "good" people. We are all sinners (Romans 3:23). This is why we need HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS (i.e., Jesus' righteousness).

Second, the author of the above quote makes a big contradiction. How can astrology be "a view" and not be a religion? Religion is defined as: "A strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny." Astrology is therefore a religion. Please read the following words of wisdom from Pastor Brian M. Schwertley...

Since the mid-1960s, there has been an immense increase in the popularity of divination, or fortune telling, among young people all over the globe. Divination is an occult practice where a person foretells future events or gains secret knowledge regarding someone's personality and life. Popular methods of divination are: astrology, tarot cards, palm reading psychic consultations, mediums and Ouija boards.

Why have these practices (especially astrology) become so popular in our modern “scientific” culture? Because people want personal guidance in their lives. People want to know the future, because knowledge of the future means control of the future. Control of the future, through occult means, is supposed to give a person an advantage over others. This advantage entails power. People want to predestinate their own lives through foreknowledge. A key element in divination is that people seek this knowledge on their own terms. Psychics and those who cast astrology charts generally give out vague good news to their customers. If they gave out bad news, they would go out of business. “This is a rebellious people, lying children, children that will not hear the law of the Lord: which say to seers, ‘See not’; and to the prophets, ‘Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits’” (Is. 30:9,10). Therefore, astrologers, psychics and all diviners, by nature, are false prophets.

SOURCE: http://www.reformed.com/pub/fortune.htm

It is wickedness to seek daily spiritual guidance in one's life from the alignment of the planets, et cetera, instead of from the Word of God. Astrology is a form of witchcraft, i.e., seeking spiritual guidance, power, or help from any source other than God. Jesus plainly stated in John 5:39, "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." What wonderful Words... SEARCH THE SCRIPTURES! Oh! How foolish are so many people today, who are woefully, and willfully, IGNORANT of the Scriptures! If you want answers to your life, and guidance to lead you, then seek the God of the Bible... "For this God is our God for ever and ever: he will be our guide even unto death" (Psalm 48:14).

Can Astrology Help Us Make Better Decisions, Clarify Our Thinking, and Help Us Create the Future?

No! The Devil has duped you if you believe that the planets affect your spiritual life.

The Three Kings were the Persian Magis who were astrologers, and I think that is as close the Bible gets to that. But all the kings during that time and even some Presidents and the globalist dictators use astrology, just like the kings once did.

. Here are the relevant verses that forbid 'astrology' - - - Deuteronomy 18:10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, :11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. :12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee. :13 Thou shalt be perfect with the LORD thy God. True Christians do not have anything to repent from as we obey God . . . .

Isa. 47:12-13 certainly indicates disapproval. It says "Keep on, then, with your magic spells and with your many sorceries, which you have labored at since childhood. Perhaps you will succeed, perhaps you will cause terror. All the counsel you have received has only worn you out! Let your astrologers come forward, those stargazers who make predictions month by month, let them save you from what is coming upon you."

It's not bad to yearn for knowledge, just don't act as if everything in astrology is going to come true. Like, don't believe it.?.?. Don't get so into the astrology that you start to idol it, or if it starts to take up so much time that you don't have enough time for God.

• MumOf5

I'm a Christian (LDS, to be precise) and my hubby is, too. My hubby, astral_lds, has read a lot about astrology, and we've integrated it in with our Christian beliefs. The astrology we use, however, is different to mainstream use of astrology.

I use astrology to understand my unique nature (and other people's natures) and it really helped me to learn not to judge other people because I realised how much is outside of people's control. Whenever I am considering any new idea, I always pray and ask God if it is right. If I feel peace, I know it's right. If I don't feel peace, then I know it's not quite right, and I ask God to guide me towards a more true understanding.

Learning about astrology taught me to value and respect people's different strengths and weaknesses, helping me not to be so judgmental (something Jesus tells us to do).

So, astrology helps me not to judge myself or others... and helps me to be able to love people and be more tolerant. I also use it to help figure out why I am having a tough time, and get ideas about what problem within myself I need to fix.

Here is a list of scriptures that refer to astrologers:

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/search?search=astrolo...

In context, astrology was always condemned only because people used it INSTEAD of trusting in God. But if you trust in God to guide you, and ask Him to help you gain Christ-like wisdom and love, it is not a sin to exercise your mind in new ways.

Follow the Holy Spirit and you won't go wrong. John 16:13 - http://scriptures.lds.org/en/john/16/16#16

There is a lot in modern astrology that is incorrect, but it provides some information that you can begin to ask God questions from, and form a framework for your own reference. So when you research astrology, if you want to find the truth about any particular idea (eg within astrology), you need to ponder and meditate prayerfully, and let yourself "be still" (Ps. 46: 10) and know what God is trying to say to you. ♥

EDIT: BTW, planets are not "lifeless rocks"... (ouch, I'm sure that God would be hurt by such a lack of respect for his magnificent creation). Planets (and everything in nature and space) are alive in Christ's power and influence ... the influence of God is upon them all. The planets obey God, therefore, they are not "lifeless".

For me, learning about astrology has led me to have even more reverence for our Heavenly Father. I do agree, though, that it's important to keep it in balance, and don't forget to do those things that bring you into communion with the Holy Spirit (eg. prayer, scripture study, kindness to other people, and keeping God's commandments, etc).

EDIT2: Mushroom Jesus, actually, there are 13 zodiac signs, but astrolgers chose to forget about the important Ophiuchus sign because it didn't align conveniently with our 12 month calendar. There are websites that explain "true astrology" (or a more true version of it) ... not the highly inaccurate 12 sign version that most people scoff at (with good reason).

There are many different types of Christianity. By my definition of Christianity, there are much worse things than learning about astrology.

Many denominations forbid it... but you have to remember that the very first men to visit Christ at his birth were Astrologers. So that eastern influence was there right from the start.

I think you should do what you enjoy and find a church that accepts you the way you are.

If you read between the lines in the bible(as a way of statement) that God created the stars and the heavens to help us understand the rule of life on our planet, so to answer your question....astrology is supposed to help us understand our existence not to predict the future.

Its OK to look into it and to satisfy curiosity BUT

If you use it as a basis to guide your life then it comes under the concept of sorcery and divination, which is a sin. Any on line bible reference tool will give you a long list of scripture which says its a no-no.

just don't get caught up or lured into t/ avenues that astrology leads to! These types of things can cause you to find yourself farther than you want to be from Father God!