Science Fiction books?

I'm really into reading since I read the Twilight series.

I'm looking for fantasy and science fiction books to read so if there are any you recomend please let me know.

Also if the book has a movie too please let me know.

:)

I really like vampires too;; just thought I'd add :)

I also thought I'd add I dont like Harry Potter.

Best Answer

Double Helix by Nancy Werlin

The story begins with Eli, a senior in high school who decides to take a job instead of going to college. He decides to take a job at Wyatt Transgenics, a famous biogenetic research company. The company is run by noble prize winner, Dr. Quincy Wyatt. After taking the job, he soon realizes that his father hates Dr. Wyatt. His father wants him to quit his job but he refuses to tell him why. Eli and his father’s relationship is strain because his mother is dying of Huntington disease. As he continues to work for Dr. Wyatt, Eli discovers some secrets about his family. People who are interested in science will absorb this book. Other recommended books: Double Identity by Margaret Petersen Haddix, Eva by Peter Dickinson, and Being by Kevin Brooks (although, I didn’t really like Road of the Dead).

Melissa Marr’s Wicked Lovely is superb! Read it, I’m sure you will like it. It is definitely not about vampires or werewolves, thank goodness. Other good reads are: Holly Black’s Ironside, Alex Flinn’s Beastly and Scott Westerfeld’s Uglies series.

Life as we knew it by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Imagine yourself as a teenage girl. Your biggest worries: friends, boys, grades, siblings, future plans, and parents. Although, you complain, life isn’t too bad. Now, imagine a meteor hitting the moon. It might seem implausible but it can happen, right? The media is saying that it is very likely to happen. What would happen to life on earth? Well, this is the premise of “Life as we knew it” by Susan Beth Pfeffer. This story talks about the effects on the environment and how people react during a time of crisis.

This is a survival story about a high school student and her family after a meteor collides into the moon. This unexpected event causes massive damage and death throughout the world. There are earthquakes, tsunamis, floods and volcanic eruptions. Food, electricity and gas are commodities. As you read, you begin to see how some characters react as they realize that their options are dwindling. People have to make tough choices if they are going to survive. I’m sure that this book will become a classic. This story doesn’t offer a hallmark ending; it isn’t optimistic. When you are finished reading, you will want to know more about what happens to the family so I hope that there will be a sequel published in the near future.

Cynthia Leitich Smith’s Tantalize

It took me forever to finish reading Tantalize. I do enjoy the stories about werewolves and vampires but not when they are redundant and uninspiring. Tantalize is a perfect example. As my co-worker said, “It has all been done before.” So frankly, it was rather boring and dry because it didn’t offer anything new. In retrospect, I expected too much because of the book cover and summary description. Oh well.

Definitely, check out: Annette Klause’s Blood and Chocolate, Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight series, Melissa De La Cruz’s Blue Blood series, Ellen Schreiber’s Vampire Kisses, and Melissa Marr’s Wicked Lovely (which I haven’t read yet but I am very excited about it because of what I’ve heard).

Son of the Mob by Gordon Korman

This story is about a high school senior whose father is in the mob. He doesn’t approve what father does for living. He falls for a girl. The girl’s father is his father’s enemy. It is Romeo and Juliet story. Follow-Up: Son of the Mob: Hollywood Hustle. Humor.

Airborne by Kenneth Oppel

This is a story that takes place in the future on board an blimp-like airship. A young cabin boy, accompanies by a wealthy girl in search of treasures but enters into a battle with pirates and cloud cats. Science Fiction/Adventure. Sequel: Skybreaker

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen

Imagine being stranded in the wilderness for 54 days. What would you do? Well, this story chronicles a thirteen year old boy survivor of plane crash. He has to deal with mistakes, setbacks, but succeeds with the help of a ratchet.

Monster by Walter Dean Myers

A sixteen year old African-American boy is accused of conspiring in a robbery of a local drug store, in which the owner is shot and killed. As he is awaiting trial, we get a chance to see the situation through his eyes. He’s an aspiring film maker so he recounts his experiences in a script format. This is a great book for discussion about the criminal justice system and for African-American males. Realistic.

Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

This is a funny, well-written story about a young boy named Gen who is a thief. The story opens up with Gen in prison claiming that he could steal anything – even the king’ seal and so begins his adventure. Along the way, he meets some interesting characters who are annoyed with his lack of heroism, behavior, and of course, his bragging. Sequels: Queen of Attolia and King of Attolia. Fantasy.

Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt

September 6, 2007 · No Comments

When Lord Death comes…. what would you do?

I love Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt.

I have to admit I didn’t know what to expect but was happily surprised. It took me about 2 days to finish. This story is about a sixteen year old girl named Keturah. She is the village storyteller. One day, she follows a hart in the forest and becomes lost. After 3 days in the forest, she is starving and near death when Lord Death comes to her. When she meets him, she sees a young, lonely man. She knows that death has come so she makes a bargain with him to let her live another day. I love the characters in this book, especially, the protagonist. She is willing to put her life on the line for her loved ones. It is a very subtle romantic read. I am looking forward to reading her books.

Harry Potter

Harry Potter

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

The Looking Glass Wars trilogy by Frank Beddor (an Alice in Wonderland spin-off)

The Mortal Instruments trilogy by Cassanra Clarke

Blue Bloods series by Melissa de la Cruz

Wicked Lovely, and Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr

Everlost by Neal Shusterman

Wicked by Gregory Maguire

Truancy by Isamu Fukui

Happy Reading!

♥Graceful Little Alice♥

• asdf

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Maximum Ride by James Patterson

Blue Bloods by Melissa De La Cruz

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Vampire Kisses by Ellen Schreiber

Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin

The Vampire Diaries by L. J. Smith

mmm your just like me.

heres some others that i can think of off the top of my head that are sci fi and fantasy and ive loved

blood and chocolate(also about vampire romance)

Avalon high(a meg cabot book but nothing like the princess diaries)

theres triolgy is called the party room-

the first book is get it started(best murder mystery ive ever laid my hands on)

you might wanna read the host(also my stephanie meyer)

email if you want more

good luck and try looking for thoes books on google books right now

read the summaries or the limited previews.

Liberty Village, Divergent, The Hunger Games, The Giver, Article 5, Enders Game, The Enemy, Night Pleasures, The Darkest Part of the Forest, Everland, Immortalis, So shall I Reap, Immortalis, Replica, The Maze Runner, you would probably love City of Bones too, it's one of my favorite series. XD I hope this was helpful.

• Lorna

Daniel R is right, Ken McLeod 's books really deal with the economy and fictional history of an anarchist future!

i answered this question before i think.... but thats ok ill answer again

sci-fi:

Ender's Shadow and Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

(definitely the best sci-fi books i have ever read!!)

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Enders-...

these two books are probably two of the best books i have ever read and i have read each book multiple times... the synopsis for each of the books does not do them justice and i HIGHLY recomend that you read them... i have supplied links to the barnes and noble site for each book so you can see the reviews from other readers as well as the summaries

fantasy:

Gemma Doyle Trilogy by Libba Bray

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Great-a...

these books have a bit of romance in them and i promise you that they are fantastic! they are fantasy books about a girl who has the gift and burden of magical abilities and keep the reader interested from start to finish

Eragon and Eldest by Christopher Paolini

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Eragon/...

if you liked harry potter you will LOVE the inheritance set by paolini! i personally find these books to be much better than harry potter and i have read both books twice and will probably read them again before the 3rd book comes out in september. i was thoroughly disappointed by the movie because the books were so much better

and last of all.....

ANYTHING BY TAMORA PIERCE

especially the quartets which take place in Tortal....these books are absolutely fantastic and i have read every one of her books and am eagerly waiting for more... i have suggested these books to my friends, including those who hate to read, and all of them are now just as addicted to her books as i am... my favorite books by Pierce include:

the alanna quarter (song of the lioness)

the kell quartet (protector of the small)

the alainne books (daughter of the lioness)

the first book in the terrier series

HAPPY READING!!

• you could try interview with a vampire by anne rice all of that series are very good.

Interview with a vampire

the vampire le stat

queen of the damed

a few others' that i don't remember the title to

you could also Read Crank it's a really good book

so are

Glass&

Burned

EDIT- if you like anne rice you will prob. like stephen king, I get wrapped up in his books :)

• Dan B

I highly recommend "The Deed of Paksennarion" by Elizabeth Moon for a very good fantasy compilation.

For sf, I recommend "Downbelow Station" by C.J. Cherryh.