Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

What is the source of the saying "You're an enigma, wrapped in a riddle, surrounded by mystery.."?

I seem to remember something like that being from a movie or tv show, but when I searched it, everyone says it! I can't find if it has an original source or even just happened to be used in a movie... anyone know?

Favorite Answer

Winston Churchill

In usage:

With six weeks remaining until Russians head to the ballot box, Putin's presidential platform is a bit like Winston Churchill's famous quip about Russia itself - a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. It's a platform shrouded, the cynics chime in, by a brutal military campaign in Chechnya that has claimed thousands of lives and cost hundreds of millions of dollars.

From Wikiquote:

The World War II years:

"I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma: but perhaps there is a key. That key is Russian national interest."

Speech broadcast on 1939-10-01

The quotation was altered when used in "JFK".

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): source quot 39 enigma wrapped riddle surrounded mystery quot: https://shortly.im/TbKXa

It was also a quote in the 1983 movie "Enigma" starring Martin Sheen.

Source(s): IMDB.com source

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awi81

OMG, you just described Ol Man Moses to a tee!!! Man, I'm hungry...

The movie you may have heard in is from 2002, "Halloween: Resurrection." It was uttered by Busta Rhymes.

It's from the movie JFK.

"Oh man, why don't you ******' stop it? ****, this is too ******' big for you, you know that? Who did the president, who killed Kennedy, **** man! It's a mystery! It's a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma! The ******' shooters don't even know! Don't you get it?"

I believe they are 3 synonyms of each other..... Re: JFK... I don't think he could even spell, let alone come up with such a deeply profound statement! --- Wordanny Geordie Hinny

Actually, the origin is it is within Masonic ritual dating to the 19th century so it predates Churchill. As Churchill himself was a Mason it is probable he used it.

it was a Joe Peshi line from the movie JFK

simply saying that you are a puzzle that cannot be fathomed.