Is "white trash" a racist term?

And if so, are white people racist to call each other that?

The reason that I ask is because so many on this site say a black person is racist for saying "N word", but is it the same like saying white trash for white people? Can black people not say it?

Favorite Answer

I think it's more of a class term, especially used by other white people. It seems to be more of a "economic" slur of some kind. Like rich vs. poor. Just my view.

I'm half Italian, half English and I find the term 'white trash' highly offensive. I would never call a black person 'black trash' or a Chinese person 'Chinese trash' so I don't expect to be called a racial slur in return. Honky is just as bad and I've started hearing it quite a lot on the telly lately. What is with all the focus on skin colour? Why can't people just see past it? There's a lot more to a person than their skin colour so stop labelling and judging people and instantly assuming you know what someone is like because of their skin colour. Every black person is not from the ghetto and a criminal. Every Asian person is not maths-mad. Every white person does not live in either a suburban area or in a trailer.

Ironically, I've always considered the term "white trash" as an insult to minorities, because it implies that only minorities are suppose to be trash. Think about it, why else would their be a need to include the WHITE part, why not just call them trash? Its a way of saying that these particular white people aren't as good as the typical white people, so they are basically minorities within the majority.

White trash is a more of a social level than a racist term in my eyes. I think more white people use this term than black people.

It is only a racist term if it is used to stereo-type all white people as being trash.

Normally, it is used to describe "red-neck" whites who live in trailers, because they are "economically challenged". Used in that context, it is merely an socially bigoted term based on class.

It is a bigoted term no matter who is using it.

• kate

no, i think it has more to do with class than race. you'd rarely hear a very wealthy white person being called "white trash". it's usually reserved for the poorer, rural ones.

edit: the n-word is different because that has a history of racism and oppression behind it. i don't use that term because of that history, and i don't like it when other blacks do.

did you ever here of a white person being called a crackers, thats the equivelent of the "N" word for white people. White trash is just classifying a certain group of people, within the white race.

White trash is an extremely loaded word. It sounds bad no matter who says it, but it doesn't sound quite as bad when white people say it because we are criticizing a segment of our own population. White trash are the unsophisticated people you see on the Jerry Springer show.

I have never called a white person this before, so I guess it is a social or class term.

NOt really because I only see rich whites calling poor ones white trash.

Its most likely elitist.

Black people call poor blacks ghetto so yeah.....

Not trying to be racist!