Anonymous

Ok. What is the proper term for what was once called a retard or mentally challenged person?

Stop deleting the question..I want to know what the answer is

40 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It was NEVER proper to call a person a retard. Mentally retarded was once OK. Mentally challenged was OK with a FEW people, but not many.

In the UK people are called people with learning disabilities or the learning disabled.

In the US they are called people with cognitive or intellectual disabilities.

Developmentally disabled is NOT correct. It refers to ANY disability that begins prior to a person reaching adulthood. Many developmental disabilities have no impact on intelligence or ability to learn.

(If you are blind or deaf from birth, or have an accident and have a spinal cord injury when you are 11, or go to war and have a traumatic brain injury when you are 18 - you are considered developmetnally disabled.)

Handicapped - challenged - differently abled - special needs - impaired - none of these are terms embraced by people who are at the forefront of disability advocacy and activism AND are not politically correct.

ETA: Hardcorespace you are wrong. Yes, retarded was once used as in mentally retarded. Retard has ALWAYS been a word that was considered wrong and ugly. It doesn't matter who used it - it has always been offensive.

Learning Disabled is what these types of disabilities have been called for a very long time in England and other countries. Learning disabilities are understood very differently than they are here. MOST sources of intellectual disability or whatever you want to call it is not from chromosomes.

• 1 decade ago

"It was NEVER proper to call a person a retard. Mentally retarded was once OK. Mentally challenged was OK with a FEW people, but not many."

That is incorrect; years ago the widely used term was Retarded... My mom actually has a letter from an old friend dated in the 60's/70's and the stamp on the envelope was the type that you purchase to donate money to a cause, and the stamp read "Help the Retards", no joke. There is a difference between autism and mental retardation, and between autism and downs syndrome. If you look it up, it expressly states that a person with down's syndrome typically "has mental retardation in the mild to moderate range" Mental retardation is an actual condition but isn't a widely used term anymore because people get all PC and defensive about it.

Also to say something like down's is "just a learning disability" is just a way of covering and being in denial, like when I tell people "I have stomach problems" when in reality I have a severe intestinal disease. There's much more to it and to be more accurate you might as well just say it's a chromosomal disorder.

• 1 decade ago

There are a few ways to define 'proper'. Are you talking the politically correct term, or the legal/medical term? The issue I see is when medical terms get mixed into general parlance. The words 'moron', 'idiot' and 'imbecile' used to be formal medical terms to describes types of retardation. They made it into general language, and thus are gone from the medical community since people tossed them around and made them meaningless.

There is the Legal definition (which you'll see below)- sorry, the medical community is clear and some would say harsh in it's labeling, thus the government follows suit! The ICD-10 code for a person with a low IQ (below 70) and low adaptive behavior (also below 70) still is Mentally Retarded- either mildly, moderately, or severely retarded. States can soften things by changing the label slightly, and I think that's where the confusion comes in. Some states say cognitive disability, some say Educable Mentally Retarded, some say intellectually deficient, etc. Most use Developmentally Delayed to refer to children 0-6 years of age who have special needs. This is an extremely global term in education and can refer to a child who has speech delays or physical delays, but isn't impaired cognitively. Again, confusion rises because the term also arises again in adulthood for extremely retarded adults.

For the record, my state uses the term 'Cognitively Disabled', however, for the moderately to severely delayed kids whose parents want to access government special programs, I have to also say 'moderately or severely mentally retarded' in my report for it to be accepted! They are in the dark ages.

And because I see it so often, I think in the UK, they use the term "Learning Disability" in a different way than folks in the US. Using the Federal (legal)Definitions for the United States, as well as Classification Systems for IQ tests: Learning Disability refers to a person who has normal cognitive intelligence, but has poor academic skills, generally in either reading, math, or written expression. In other words, you have to have an IQ of 85-90 and academic skills well below average to get this title (and the services that go with it). In the US a person CANNOT be mentally retarded at the same time (according to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act). So if your kid with Down Syndrome has a IQ below 70, they are considered to be Mentally Retarded not LD.

Source(s): School Psych who evaluates both of these types of students, and others. http://www.who.int/classifications/apps/icd/icd10o... Look at this by Arc (formery known as the Association for Retarded Citizens) http://www.thearc.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=1...
  • 1 decade ago

Like another one of your answerers said, it is important to stress the *person* first versus the disability. So *Person* with a developmental disability or *Person* with a communication disorder or *Person* with a learning disorder would all be appropriate expressions to use, depending on what type of disability the person has.

That being said, the term "retardation" is still in use, and there are still descriptions of mental retardation in the DSM or Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, which is a book that every psychiatrist, psychologist, neuropsychologist, MFCC, and clinical social worker uses to help diagnose their clients. So saying *person* with mental retardation would still be okay.

Calling someone a "retard" is generally not societally acceptable. Or classifying someone by their disability is not appropriate e.g. "He's an autistic," versus "He has autism."

Hope this helps!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

DDS/Developmentally Disabled Syndrome

Special Needs

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Intellectually Disabled

• 1 decade ago

Disabled Person With Disabilities

• 4 years ago

i'm a instructor in Public faculties, and the term we is "getting to grasp disabled". The term "retarded" is an old term from the 70's and 80's that's now considered offensive and politically incorrect. while you're hiring this person who's getting to grasp disabled--then you definately extra suitable be VERY careful on the words you utilize. you should face a lawsuit of discrimination in case you utilize words that demean that person. i think the EEOC (the federal gov't branch that handles place of work discrimination) protects handicapped & mentally challenged human beings as properly as human beings of coloration and ladies human beings....If that lady did no longer permit you be conscious of that she is mentally challenged, then you definately shouldn't label her as such whether you think of she is. in keeping with danger you could ASK her if she has any getting to grasp disabilties, and ask her to describe what subject she has; yet supply her confidentialty, and dont pass around telling all and sundry "good day, Mary has getting to grasp disabilities!". in basic terms such as you wouldnt desire human beings to be conscious of approximately your person own scientific issues. it is fairly mushy, and that's truly helpful to pass to the EEOC internet site to verify you cope with this properly. ______________________ playstation --"element" above me is solid additionally: The term "Developmentally in the back of schedule" is a right notch, maximum appropriate term that's used to describe all varieties disabilties--from Autism to Down Syndrome to all in between. confident, Developmentally in the back of schedule is the politically maximum appropriate term that's risk-free & universal. nevertheless, do no longer assume that something is incorrect with this lady, or you're able to have a multitude and a lawsuit on your arms!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Some people still use the term "slow" to describe people who are mentally handicapped. It might carry some pejorative connotations but it is less offensive than saying retard or retarded.

Person 1: "Did that guy over there hear me? I said, 'keep your voices down.'"

Person 2: "Oh, you'll have to forgive him. He's...slow."

Person 1: "Oh, I'm sorry. Tell your friend to be more quiet because people down the hall are taking a test."

• The proper terms within the USA are these:

1. A person with an "Intellectual Disability".

2. A person with a "Cognitive Disability".

3. A person with a "Learning Disability".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.