Not on agreement - obtain a copy?

Can I obtain a copy of a lease agreement I am not on?

To add to this, my roommate I feel is wanting to take me to small claims and I need a copy to see if he was required to add any tenants to the lease, because when I asked to be on it he told me "No. . I don't want to go through the hassle with the land lord" So I don't want to get popped for him and his prev roommates trashing the house.

He is stating that I am responsable for other roommates mess when my room is clean and clear.

Favorite Answer

The lease is not in your name so you wouldn't be able to get a copy of it. Also, since it is not in your name, it is the lease holder, not a guest who happens to be residing there, to keep the property in good condition. Further, he could be evicted just on the fact that he has people living with him who aren't authorized to do so. That is why he doesn't want you to contact the landlord.

This guy is just trying to take advantage of you. RUN.

Since the lease would be considered a legal document, and you are not on that document, then you would haven no right to a copy of it. And if you are not on the lease, the landlord cannot hold you responsible for any damage, only the one or ones who signed the lease.