Wal
Lv 4
Wal asked in SportsFantasy Sports · 1 decade ago

Kenny Perry?

How do all of you feel about Kenny Perry turning down the last 2 majors???and especially the British because he is playing in that junk tournament in the US that week...do u think it is right because he will get more points to be on the Ryrder cup team, or foolish because it shows he doesnt want to play with the best of the best on the harder courses, while many people would kill to play in a major???

i hope i get input because i dropped from level 3 to level 2 by asking this question.....lol

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hey Wal. Personally, I think too much is made of the touring pros electing to skip events to achieve other goals. These guys are independent contractors and each has his own agenda.

Perry is not guaranteed of more Ryder Cup points by choosing to play in Milwaukee. But his chances are probably greater of actually securing some points because of his outstanding history at Brown Deer GC. Perry has played there every year since 2000, chalking up a victory (2003), four other Top 5s, two other Top 10s and a T-15. Although he was a member of the 2004 Ryder Cup team, this year's edition is in his home state of Kentucky and this is likely his last chance of making the team. Finally, he's already said that it's highly likely that he'll play in next year's British Open.

This is not unprecedented either. Fred Funk took a public lashing for skipping the 2004 British Open to gather Ryder Cup points at the concurrent B.C. Open. He made the team.

I like to make the analogy that if your favorite team sports franchise offered you a one-year contract to play at the league minimum wage but the rival team offered a multi-year deal for millions, what would you do? Perry is in a place in his life that he has the luxury to make a decision that would fulfill a dream that he probably wouldn't otherwise consider.

Oh, and Perry didn't turn down the U.S. Open. He elected not to attempt to 36-hole qualify, citing his commitment to making the Ryder Cup team. He looks like a genius now that he's won two of the last five PGA Tour events.

• 1 decade ago

Um...fantasy sports section.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.