Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

ADHD really lazy parent disorder?

Is ADHD really just a case of lazy parent disorder, especially when it comes to boys?

• Hope
    Best Answer

For those who have never spent a full day in the same room with a child with ADHD, I can understand why this is a question for you. However, as the mother of 2 kids with ADHD and 3 kids without the disorder, I can assure you, there IS A DIFFERENCE in the child's basic make-up.

Normal little boys, getting up in the morning will be like cars at the racetrack...."Start your engines" and the normal boys will sound and play as if they are cars, but normal boys will also have slower times of the day, and quieter times of the day. The boys with ADHD are the ones who get up with their throttle stuck on "full speed ahead" regardless of the terrain. They have no concept of the word "brakes" or "quiet" or "sit".

Lazy parent disorder? - as a tired parent of both boy and girl with ADHD, I will respond with a definate NO.

Source(s): Our Dr never considered medication for the kids, he suggested parenting techniques, and said he said these kids need to learn to live in society with what they came with - "so deal with it" and be the parent this child needs.

Generally6, i agree with you. So many children are labelled as ADHD, when all that is needed with the child is ground rules and discipline. there are a number of children where I live who have been diagnosed with this, and knowing the parents, I can definitely say that it is bad parenting and not ADHD. A child needs some structure in its life. I think all too often some parents cannot be bothered , letting the child get away with things to get an easier life for themselves. I tend to think that some GPs use ADHD as a 'label' because this is what a parent wants to hear, not that they are absolutely useless, and to catch a grip!! I worry that medicines like Ritalin and Melatonin are dished out all too readily. A friends daughter was prescribed this initially, but when another GP refused to carry on prescribing saying there was nothing wrong with the child, the mother got the pills from the internet!!

Not always. There is a few kids out there that do really need help with ADHD and then there is the parents that are lazy, along with teachers, because I know there is a lot of teacher out there telling parents to do it! Its all in the matter of the parents and how the decided it needs to be looked at.

No way! I do think ADHD is over diagnosed but anyone who has ever parented a child with true ADHD knows no matter what you do as a parent you can't do anything about the impulsive behavior.

My step daughter has ADHD. All of her parents are very involved and rather strict parents. We took her to three different specialists who all diagnosed her with ADHD before we started a course of treatment.

There are very specific symptoms of ADHD and a diagnosis should be arrived at by a professional after consulting parents and teachers who interact with the child. It is not something to be thrown around as a diagnosis for every rambunctious child, but is a very real thing for those who actually have ADHD and their families.

I don't think it's lazy parent-- but lazy doctors. Boys are generally more hyper than girls, however ADHD and ADD should only show up in between 3-5% of the population-- yet some schools show that over 20% of the children are on some type of medication for these disorders.

I personally think it's teachers telling parents and principals that they can't handle the children (even if they are within a normal range of hyper activity) so they are sent to school psychologists/psychitriasts/family doctors who say "give them this, it'll calm them down" and the parents think "well a dr proscribed it, so it's gotta help" and they then give it to their children.

Source(s): Loads of psychology classes

Not always, ADHD is a medical condition. However, yeah, I think there is a tendency for the natural activity level of young boys (especially taking into account the amount of sugar and other stimulants a lot of kids are consuming these days) to be mislabeled as ADHD.

No way! I had a student with severe ADHD in my class last year. I always thought, oh my goodness, and I'm only with her 7 hours a day! It was very trying, but rewarding to teach her how to deal with her disorder and be able to concentrate. Unfortuantely, the doctor did put her on medication. We tried every intervention possible but she could never get anything done (she's very bright, reads 3 levels above grade and does math two levels above grade). Once she was on medication, she began performing at a level that was quite stunning to me and other staff. She had a few side effects (crying, loss of appetite) at first, but after her body adjusted to the medication she was fine.

Such a hard question. Some kids are ADD or ADHD, and are in serious need of help, other children however have what you called "lazy" parents. My nephew has ADD. He went to the Dr and was put on meds in 10 mins!!!!! I had a complete fit. I think with some simple instructions he could be doing just as well as with his meds. My brother and his wife took the easy way out like most perents do. Children take work. My son is still young but I am already working with him on taking his time and doing things right, not getting distracted. This is just my opinion, but I think there are way too many kids on meds that should not be and many parents who take the easy way out.

i guess in some cases. in mine, i was bouncing off the walls with a sugar free/whoopin filled regiment. so it definitely wasn't the sugar or lack of parental guidance. let me tell you that after being placed on 2 different drugs for the disorder, i trashed them every chance i could and now concentrate very hard on keeping my focus and hyperactivity to a minimum. it became a popular thing to be ADD and ADHD in my scholastic career. people would claim disability and take every advantage they could just becasue they knew how to answer the questionaire when testing for ADD/ADHD. i recently saw my personal files regarding the subject and it made me laugh how futile the teachers felt. ah well, i turned out great, i think.

I don't know