1two3 asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

What does “uchi” mean in Japanese?

I don’t mean house, I mean “Me/I”. I’m not sure of its exact usage. Is it just like “watashi”? Are females more inclined to use it than males or vice versa? Is it casual, polite, or what?

Favorite Answer

the Japanese word "UCHI" has deep meanings in Japan... I suppose you should read a book about Japanese UCHI in the future if you continue to study Japanese... now I've searched to find any good sites to explain it but I couldn't find.

anyway, simple explanation of uchi.

you can't replace Me/I with uchi automatically. uchi is used to mention ' where someone belongs to'.

uchi no kaisya wa hasan sunzen desu.

Our company is on the verge of bankruptcy.

uchi no syatyou

the president of our company / our boss

uchi no hito

my husband

uchi no yatsu / nyoubou

my wife

uchi no kodomo

my child

uchi

my house ( not a house, MY house in this case )

uchi he oide yo.

come to my house.

both of male and female use this word. and it's casual. there were women who used uchi as I /me in the past but nowadays it's rare.

Source(s): native Japanese speaker
  • blango

Uchi Japanese

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What does “uchi” mean in Japanese?

Source(s): uchi japanese: https://shortly.im/FROe2
  • Evelyn

In Japanese there is the concept of 内&外 meaning literally "inside and outside" If you are "in the group" you are uchi. If you are "outside the group" you are soto (or gai depending on the context. Hence the word 外国人(person from an outside country) Uchi is used in western Japan by women to instead of "Watashi" It holds the meaning of "house" and "in my group" as well as "me" Uchi only exists in the context of Soto

Yes.It means "watashi=I,me"

Other mean ..

My home,my family, my company,

Kansai region people say "uchi" instead of "watashi"

"uchi" does means house yes. And the root of the word "watashi" is "private" and it is used for the word "I" in English. It can be used in any kind of way. You won't be rude to say watashi.

• Neilly

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/Nif7K

it's hakata ben, from fukuoka, it means i. for example. uchi tte gakusei da ken. it's the same as watashi wa gakusei dakara. in english it means " because i am an student". うちとうしさんに it means something like " to me and the cow"