Andre asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

CAN ADULTS STOP STUTTERING??????????f?????????????????????????

im 19, and have benn stuttering since i was about 11 or 12. when i was 14 i went to stuttering clinic which lasted for about 4 weeks, it helped me to speak noramlly. after that was done i did the practices then stopped. now my speech is back to where it was before. im not a crazy stutterer but i do stutter. its actually very mild but is a pain in the butt sometimes. in terms of my social life i feel fine, theres no problem but i wish i can stop stuttering because i would do better in school and socially.

• Bud B
    Favorite Answer

yes, definitely, you can have much less stuttering if none at all

Learn all about stuttering at www.stutteringhelp.org, your best source for information and help.

Try these resources:

www.stutteringhelp.org there are videos online that show speech therapists working with stutterers; watch them and learn some techniques.

http://stutteringselfhelp-stutteringselfhelp.blogs...

http://stutteringhelp-bud.blogspot.com/

http://notesonstuttering.blogspot.com/

Meet others who stutter here http://groups.myspace.com/stutteringfoundation

Contact The Stuttering Foundation of America as that is where our family got help. Their book "Self Therapy for the Stutterer" worked wonders after working through it step by step. Part of the book can be found here http://www.stutteringhelp.org/Default.aspx?tabid=6...

Source(s): come from a family of stutterers who found help through The Stuttering Foundation of America and their book "Self Therapy for the Stutterer"

I think some can because the basketball player Bill Walton had a stuttering problem when he was younger, but now he's an announcer and has no stutter at all.

I have no special expertise in the subject, but I think there is some form of training or therapy that might help. Good luck.

Here in the UK it's stammering. I know cos I've been afflicted by it all my life. It's nothing to do with psychology! And don't even think about bothering with so called speech therapists!

They are less use than a chocolate teapot (coffee pot in the good ole USA I suppose..)

The fact is that nobody knows the cause. Mostly people don't give a fcuk, they prefer to think of us as retards (as you say, I think?)

It's so alien a concept to most people that speech cannot be delivered at will that it's a taboo subject.

I've not seen it mentioned on this webite before, so good for you.

Good luck, you seem to have very mild symptoms of this inexplicable syndrome.

But cut the repetetive ??? etc. That's offensive.

I am 21 years old and I have had a stammer since I was about 8. I will tell you right now that there is no cure. It's something that you have to live with.

The most important thing you must realise, is that you should never let your stammer get in the way of what you want to do with your life. Don't let it stop you. You should do whatever you want and push yourself in spite of it, and people will admire you for it, not criticise you. And the ones who are critical, are ignorant anyway.

I went on the Starfish course a couple of years ago and it really helped me. I am by no means cured of my stammer but I now have the confidence to not let it hold me back like it once did.

Good luck, keep smiling and you'll succeed in whatever you want to do x

I certainly hope so, because I am 36 never stuttered a day in my life until last week. Now I'm wondering if I am starting to do it for the attention or something. I'm f*^ked up or something.

If you find out, repost your question with updates, please.

Good Luck.

Go back to a speech therapist....you can again stop stuttering with some help! (psychologist)

You need to start practicing again, read aloud to yourself and slow down before you speak. I control it most of the time and it only kicks in when i get really upset or excited about something.

i think that you should be happy just the way you are

who cares if you stutter??

if ppl cant accept you for who you are then they have issues

:)

read out loud to yourself and start at a slow pace,

then get faster once you feel comfortable with it.

even better - read poetry.

I think so. I heard some musicians say that singing helped.