Can i legally break my 1 year lease without penalty if i lost my job unexpectedly?

i work in the automotive industry and due to the slump automakers are in, many of us got laid off. we werent given any advanced notice of the lay off, we just came to work and saw a notice on board due to a change in customer requirements, the following people have been laid off until further notice. there is no... show more i work in the automotive industry and due to the slump automakers are in, many of us got laid off. we werent given any advanced notice of the lay off, we just came to work and saw a notice on board due to a change in customer requirements, the following people have been laid off until further notice. there is no telling when i'll get called back to work and my unemployment isnt enough to pay rent. i'd rather move out now then try to make arrangements and then owe back rent later on. can i get out of my lease legally if landlord isnt understanding or willing to work with me