What like like for an ABF on a Navy ship?

I'm going to boot within the next month and i wanted to know what life was like for ABF(fueling) which is my rate.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

To couple with rich's and doc's answers...it is a hard rate. you have long days and unusual schedules when it comes to fueling times (by needs of the aircraft)...while I was stationed on the USS Essex, I mentored a couple of young sailors who worked in V-4 (Air Dept Fuels)...they said the job was tough but it was definately interesting to do...atelast for a while..I think it would get very repetitive. Also while they are in port or when the wing is not aboard, they don't work so much on the flight deck, but that doesn't mean they do nothing...there are always spaces on the ship that need rehabed (chipping, grinding, and painting) and they fold you into the other divisions to help out as well (V-3 hanger deck, V-1 Flight deck)...plus there are always watches to stand.

Source(s): Timothy E. HM1 (FMF/PJ/SW), USN
  • galles
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Abf Navy

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What like like for an ABF on a Navy ship?

I'm going to boot within the next month and i wanted to know what life was like for ABF(fueling) which is my rate.

Source(s): abf navy ship: https://tinyurl.im/f57cI
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Personally I think ABF like all AB rate are probably one of the hardest working rate in the job, expect to work very long hours when there's flight in underway, however don't expect much of work in port when the airwing is not around, you will be station in aircraft arrier or amphibious ship. If you had a choice don't got to a carrier, more much work to do a carrier especially you deal with all of jets, is much easier just deal with helicopter, you won't get hearing loss from helicopter than a jet blast. However advacement is poor for ABF, they called you grapes because the color you wearing, trust me first few year you will dislike the what you doing, cause very likely you will get to do what you job description, you will had to spend great deal of time during something else like work in the galley, trash planet. cleaning officer mess.

My advice do you, if you get still change rate. change it ! One I do know ABF hate the most of their job is that your uniform will smell like fuel and get dirty very frequent, one problem with flight jersey, you can't buy them in next, only supply clerk can gae you, and many time they only had so many limited and don't always had you size.

Source(s): Navy Vet, Squadron been to 2 deployment.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I am not an ABF I'm a HM3(FMF) but before i was working with marines, I served on a ship, and most rates do what their job is, for me it was seeing people in sick call, for you its fueling when the time comes. Of course there is other things that all sailors are expected to do, like help fight fires and things like that, but for the most part, (and since you are a junior enlisted sailor) you will be in an apprentice-like environment and follow around a petty officer and assist him. hope this helps and good luck shipmate!

Ernest M. Jimenez HM3(FMF), U.S.N.

• bill a
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I do not know about ABF but for boot camp. Just go with the clothes that are on your back. And I wouldn't even where good ones. I was a AMH which is now AMS. And if you go to Great lakes It is COLD AND WET!

• 1 decade ago

Dude it sucks. Sorry just being honest if you can change your rate do it. I saw those guys everyday hating life and the advancement is slow I had a good friend that was an ABF2 dude was good to go really smart but he was in a locked up rate. Trust me do something special.

Source(s): 6 month deployment on the USS Lincoln before I came to spec war/special projects
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.