promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

what is the meaning of the song Video Killed The Radio Star?

what is the meaning of the song Video Killed The Radio Star???

i wanna know i think it's pretty self explainitory but i just wanna double check i got the meaning right

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Fun Fact: The video for this song was the first video ever played on MTV!

But yeah, it seem pretty self explanatory. Music Video was about to explode. People could enjoy not only the audio aspect of music, but a visual medium as well.

The writer of the song, Trevor Horn, felt that we were at an end of an era - and that radio would not be as important as it once was.

The lyrics of the song seem to focus on the passing of the 50's and 60's, when many stars were created soley through radio programing. But at the same time, the song is drawing a parallel between that time period and the (then) current time period, when the music video was just begining to emerge.

Source(s): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_killed_the_radi... I notice that eclectic just copied and pasted this, which is what I should have done - instead of trying to paraphrase it.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Buggles group member Trevor Horn has said that his lyrics were inspired by the J.G. Ballard short story The Sound-Sweep, in which the title character, a mute boy vacuuming up stray music in a world without it, comes upon an opera singer hiding in a sewer.

He also felt "an era was about to pass." The theme of the song is thus nostalgia, which is also echoed in the tone of the music. The lyrics refer to a period of technological change in the 1960s, the desire to remember the past and the disappointment that children of the current generation would not appreciate the past. In the 1950s and early 1960s, radio was an important medium for many, through which "stars" were created.

• 1 decade ago

Video killed the radio star means what it says.

Imagine this Fat Bastard with 7 toes and 15 fingers making amazing music out of his home in Wisconsin. Now this douche has to make a video and reveal to the world that he's a fat bastard that doesn't even look like he's native to this planet. Once people see him, they will be so repulsed they would stop buying his music. AKA Blues Traveler!

Thus the video killed the radio star.

Hope that helps! :D

• 1 decade ago

It means that the radio star is not attractive. Therefore he can not effectively use the new media. Killing his career much in the same way that talking movies killed the careers of many silent film stars ( some had horrible voices). Interestingly enough, it was the first video ever aired on MTV.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

in a case where a radio personality/reporter caught on video recieving bribe money. he's dead(not literally) :)) his career is over :)) *kidding aside

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Have you ever heard the phrase:

He's got a face made for radio?

Same thing.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yes, it's self explanatory.

With the advent of videoclips the music became second to the videoclip.

Musicians who could produce great music but didn't look good to the record bosses suddenly could no longer get contracts.

Musicians who could produce great music but couldn't do silly dance steps with a group of half naked teenage girls found themselves not having their contracts renewed.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

it is self explanatory...it means that when video increased the number of radio listeners decreased....something like that.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

means that after video came out....listening to the radio became less popular ^-^

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.