Marriage Church V State Original Ruling?

Because of all this pro/anti gay marriage stuff I can no longer find the first rulings on marriage as a state vs church issue. Please site the oldest cases you know. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

I haven't heard of any such cases. Marriage by the state is not the same as marriage by the church.

Some people marry only by the state (civil ceremony) and some people do both civil and religious. Though someone may marry "in the church", their union will not usually be recognized by civil authorities until they fulfill civil requirements (blood test, licensing, etc.)

Marriage by the church only may be recognized at some point in time by the civil courts, as in the case of declared common law marriages. Those not married civilly are not entitled to the same rights in civil courts as the people who do have civil sanction.