Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Jehovah's Witnesses: Help me with this one please?

John 20:28 is an exchange between the Apostle Thomas and Jesus Christ. The exchange stems from Thomas' doubt that Jesus had appeared to the other Apostles, since he wasn't with them, (John 20:25). John 20:28 is Thomas' response to a subsequent visit by Jesus, during which he was present. Thomas, in verse 20:28, calls Jesus both his Lord and his God. The word "God" in this verse is translated from the Greek, "ho theos". Since ho theos literally means, "the God", it is evident that it is being used as a title for the One, True, God. Obviously, " My the God " would make no sense. It is also noteworthy that in all cases, the use of the title "ho theos" in John's entire Gospel always refers to Yaweh - Jehovah God. Therefore Thomas, an Apostle & Jew, names Jesus, Almighty God. From Jesus' response in John 20:29, we know that Thomas' response was a statement of belief, not some exclamation of surprise, or shock. In John 20:29, we find Jesus' response to Thomas' declaration of belief. Gently He rebukes Thomas, because he needed tangible proof before he believed that Jesus had risen from the dead. He then goes on to teach that belief without tangible proof is much more desirable. There are those who claim that Jesus' response only addresses Thomas' unbelief that He had risen and appeared to the other Apostles, (John 20:25). However, it is clear that Jesus' response addresses both his unbelief and subsequent statement of belief that Jesus is God. To understand this you need to note the fact that Jesus did not rebuke Thomas for blasphemy, or for violating a Commandment of God. Both Jesus and Thomas knew that it was blasphemy to call someone GOD, who was in fact not GOD. Also, they knew it was a violation of one of God's Commandments to have any god other than, Jehovah. "You shall not go after other gods." (Deu 6:14) Additionally, since Jesus offered no correction concerning Thomas naming Him Jehovah God, it shows that Jesus acknowledges that He is GOD, not 'a god' or some lesser deity.

I am not trying to put anyone down. Just want some understanding here.

Moses Beyond... you must not be a witness because you are awful rude to someone who is just trying to learn.

Favorite Answer

you are correct. If Thomas refers to Christ a "MysGod" If he were in error then Jesus would have corrected his blasphemous mistake. Instead Jesus Blesses him.

Kinda' blows witness theology out of the ball park doesn't it.

• hribar

properly an analogous way that we've a private call and would want to be called with the help of our call particularly of guy, woman, Boy & so forth is an analogous way that God feels. Psalms 80 3:18 says "would people understand which you, whose call is Jehovah,You on my own are the main extreme over each of the earth." the actuality that his call is reported contained in the Bible shows God needs his call to be customary & in view that we are his witnesses or followers, we are called Jehovah's Witnesses.

This is what Paul says in 1 Timothy chapter 1: Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited (infinite) patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive *eternal* life. Now to the King *eternal*, immortal, invisible, the *only* God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen. The disciples and Paul *knew* that Jesus is God *I Am*.

When Jesus died, yes his flesh died, but the spirit of God never dies; the Spirit of God the Alpha and Omega. When Jesus flesh died God's spirit just left. *I Am*, I shall be what I shall be; I will be what I will be. *I Am* the Universal God.

in our book "Insight on the Scriptures" there is an explanation of this or rather several possible explanations. What did Thomas mean when he said to Jesus, “My Lord and my God”?

It says:

"On the occasion of Jesus’ appearance to Thomas and the other apostles, which had removed Thomas’ doubts of Jesus’ resurrection, the now-convinced Thomas exclaimed to Jesus: “My Lord and my God! [literally, “The Lord of me and the God (ho The·os′) of me!”].” (Joh 20:24-29) Some scholars have viewed this expression as an exclamation of astonishment spoken to Jesus but actually directed to God, his Father. However, others claim the original Greek requires that the words be viewed as being directed to Jesus. Even if this is so, the expression “My Lord and my God” would still have to harmonize with the rest of the inspired Scriptures. Since the record shows that Jesus had previously sent his disciples the message, “I am ascending to my Father and your Father and to my God and your God,” there is no reason for believing that Thomas thought Jesus was the Almighty God. (Joh 20:17) John himself, after recounting Thomas’ encounter with the resurrected Jesus, says of this and similar accounts: “But these have been written down that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ the Son of God, and that, because of believing, you may have life by means of his name.”—Joh 20:30, 31.

"So, Thomas may have addressed Jesus as “my God” in the sense of Jesus’ being “a god” though not the Almighty God, not “the only true God,” to whom Thomas had often heard Jesus pray. (Joh 17:1-3) Or he may have addressed Jesus as “my God” in a way similar to expressions made by his forefathers, recorded in the Hebrew Scriptures, with which Thomas was familiar. On various occasions when individuals were visited or addressed by an angelic messenger of Jehovah, the individuals, or at times the Bible writer setting out the account, responded to or spoke of that angelic messenger as though he were Jehovah God. (Compare Ge 16:7-11, 13; 18:1-5, 22-33; 32:24-30; Jg 6:11-15; 13:20-22.) This was because the angelic messenger was acting for Jehovah as his representative, speaking in his name, perhaps using the first person singular pronoun, and even saying, “I am the true God.” (Ge 31:11-13; Jg 2:1-5) Thomas may therefore have spoken to Jesus as “my God” in this sense, acknowledging or confessing Jesus as the representative and spokesman of the true God. Whatever the case, it is certain that Thomas’ words do not contradict the clear statement he himself had heard Jesus make, namely, “The Father is greater than I am.”—Joh 14:28."

Me again. I particularly like the last part of this explanation because it IS true that certain angelic visitors were addressed as "Jehovah". In Genesis, Abraham is visited by 3 angels that tell him that Sodom and Gomorrah are going to be destroyed. Abraham is concerned about his nephew Lot who lives in that region and he pleads with "Jehovah". Obviously the Bible in other places tells us that "no one has seen God at any time", and Jehovah himself told Moses that no one could see his face and yet live.

Two of the Angels leave Abraham and go toward the cities, but "Jehovah" stays behind. Why is the third angel called Jehovah? because he is acting as God's mouthpiece. The "Word" if you will. In fact I believe that we suspect that this particular angel was "the Word" or Jesus prior to his being born as a human. No he wasn't Jehovah, nor was he Almighty God, but he WAS his chief spokesman. So he was addressed by Abraham in that way.

The Bible has things like this in it that SEEM to be contradictions, but really are not. Thomas no doubt KNEW that Jesus had always claimed to be the son of God, he also no doubt knew that he was God's chief spokesman. And he no doubt knew about the story of Abraham and "Jehovah" who came to warn about Sodom.

Is this confusing? Maybe a little. But not NEAR so confusing and unbelieveable as the Trinity teaching. Too many scriptures are directly contradicted for the Trinity teaching to be true.

It should always be remembered that according to 2 Timothy 3:16,17, all scripture is inspired of God and is beneficial for, among other things, reproving and setting things straight. Furthermore, our Lord Christ Jesus plainly states at John 10:35 that God’s word cannot be nullified.

In this connection, we must consider Thomas’ words in the light of the above and in light of other scriptures that deal with Jesus. Now whatever the meaning of Thomas’ words at John 20:28, how can we reconcile what he said with John 17:3; John 20:17 and Revelation 3:12? These scriptures deal with Jesus before he died, after he was resurrected but before returning to heaven, and long after returning to heaven – respectively. In these three scriptures, which cannot be nullified, Jesus plainly states that his father is the only true God, and that the father is HIS God. So how do we reconcile Thomas’ words with these plain statements? For if Jesus is Jehovah God, then either these scriptures are nullified, or Jesus said at John 17:3: “This means eternal life, taking in knowledge of you, Jehovah God and of me, Jehovah God.” And Jesus said to Mary at John 20:17: “Go tell my brothers that I am ascending to my father and to your father, to me (because I am Jehovah God) and to your God.” Finally, at Revelation, Jesus would say: “ . . . make him a pillar in the temple of me, and he will by no means go out anymore, and I will write upon him the name of me and the name of the city of me, the new Jerusalem which descends out of heaven from me and that new name of me.”

What is the point? We cannot wrap our belief around any one particular scripture, at the exclusion of all others because scripture does not contradict scripture. God does not contradict himself. All scriptures harmonize and so all teachings must be in accord. Now if Thomas believed that Jesus is Jehovah God himself and if Jesus co-signed this belief, how do we understand the scriptures cited above? Moreover, if Thomas believed that Jesus is Jehovah God, then that means that Jehovah God died and that, plainly, is a violent contradiction of the Biblical teaching that it is impossible for God to die.

How are we to construe the words of Thomas? In such a way as to harmonize with the overall teaching of the Bible concerning Jesus and Jehovah God and in a way that harmonizes with the immediate context. Having considered all this, it is unscriptural to suggest that Thomas thought he was looking at Jehovah God.

Hannah J Paul

That's a fair enough question :)

Forgive the long cut and paste. Here are some quotes from some non-witness sources explaining it...

First it is of interest to note, as does Canon Theologian of Coventry Cathedral H. W. Montefiore, that “very seldom indeed is Jesus called God in the New Testament.”1

In a lecture at the University of Manchester, visiting Professor of Theology G. H. Boobyer explained: “Some nine or ten passages occur in which Jesus is, or might be, alluded to as ‘God’ (‘theos’). . . . Two or three of these, however, are highly dubious, and, of the remainder, varying degrees of . . . uncertainty attach to all save one, which is Thomas’s adoring acclaim of the risen Jesus in John xx. 28 as ‘My Lord and my God!’ Distinguishing this passage from the others, Vincent Taylor—a moderately conservative scholar on christological problems—speaks of it as ‘the one clear ascription of Deity to Christ’ in the New Testament.”2

But does even this one apparently “clear ascription of Deity to Christ” prove that he is the Almighty God? John Martin Creed, as Professor of Divinity in the University of Cambridge, observed: “The adoring exclamation of St. Thomas ‘my Lord and my God’ (Joh. xx. 28) is still not quite the same as an address to Christ as being without qualification God, and it must be balanced by the words of the risen Christ himself to Mary Magdalene (v. 17): ‘Go unto my brethren and say to them, I ascend unto my Father and your Father, and my God and your God.’”3

• Jesus is the Son of God.....all through the Bible this is what Jesus himself make known......how could it be any other way....except Satan has lies put out all in the world.......unless people repent of their sins and deny flesh and follow Christ teaching.......they will never be released from Satan's traps.....his lies......his deceit............Reading the Bible learning the ways of Jesus.......you are no longer in the dark....these type of questions God will reveal the answers to you..........Amen

Source(s): Holy Bible

I Am upset with you....Why??? simple....you ask the same Qs...again and Again and seem that nothing we explain you accept it...then keep going.....don´t ask us...you are not going to believe us.....anyway

if Jesus is God almighty ...Why he died???....if he died then God died...if he is God almighty ...then God almighty died

you are ..be happy thinking Jesus is Jehovah......We had explained several times that before ... the 200 times the bibles shows the differences between Jehovah and Jesus...

You want to believe the illogical believe that Jesus is his own father go on .

John 17:3 "This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ."

but according to you.... should say

This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God Jesus Christ, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ.

Turn to Islam and you will be saved from hell-fire. Declare Shahada and you will be happy. Make Salat and you will be fearless.

الله اكبر