Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Do you support hiring and firing employees based on religion?

Hippo- can you read?

elise- Can you read?

Reaching out to religious voters, Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama called for expanding President Bush's program steering federal social service dollars to religious groups and — in a move sure to cause controversy — supported some ability to hire and fire based on faith.

Right there. SUPPORTED SOME ABILITY TO HIRE AND FIRE BASED ON FAITH.

Favorite Answer

"But Obama's support for letting religious charities that receive federal funding consider religion in employment decisions could invite a protest from those in his own party who view such faith requirements as discrimination.

Obama does not support requiring religious tests for recipients of aid nor using federal money to proselytize, according to a campaign fact sheet. He also only supports letting religious institutions hire and fire based on faith in the non-taxypayer funded portions of their activities, said a senior adviser to the campaign, who spoke on condition of anonymity to more freely describe the new policy."

That's a really broad statement you just made.

Obama only supports the employment rights of individuals to be based on their religion if the organization they work for (or are seeking to work for) is a religious-based organization, not all employment. I happen to agree. If I ran a Catholic-based charity or some other work, I would expect my employees to share at least the basis of that foundation. If an aspect of the business is spreading the word and faith in your specific deity, would you want someone who doesn't agree with that faith representing your company? Take religion out of the question. Say I sold widgets and one of my salesmen thought widgets were not a good product. How successful would he be in moving my product and how long would I keep him in his job?

yes i do. I am an american and I work in Kuwait. we had a American Jewish guy that got a job with us, which caused problems when he in processed into the Kuwait system. After months of problems and manytrips to the US embassy, it was all taken care of. He was a good employee, but about 1-2 times a week, he would get into trouble with some of teh citizens in Kuwait, or teh police. My ompany should have never hired him. I think teh company should have a policy about your religious backround, to see weather it fits into the culture your in. I am not mussilm, I am christin.

It looks to me like Obama wants lots of money going to the Muslim charities sense their collecting of money went down the drain after 9-11-01. I know I had Muslim charities come to my business wanting money but I had to turn them down because of 9-11. At that point, both me and my business stopped giving any donations to any group even and especially the police. They only get 10% of the amount you donate anyway and many of the Muslim charities give their money to terrorists.

Another bad move on Obama's part. I love it, he's screwing himself right out of the election.

Sometimes it's valid. If the position requires that you work on Sunday, and you insist you can't based on religious convictions, then you need to be redirected to something that can accommodate you. Or if your religious convictions require that you keep your face covered, save for your eyes, that might present a problem in jobs that require public image and relations. I wouldn't hire you.

Only if is is a justifiable stipulation prior to employment, i.e., employed by a Church or some other religious, or religiously affiliated, organization. In that he wants to extend a Bush program, should we begin calling him "Obamabush.?

well if your it is a family or religious firm than yes. But for a company like Home Depot,Walmart exc. no i don't support it. Hey not everything about any one of the wanna-be president's is perfect.

It certain cases I think it's acceptable (like if your applying to work at a Catholic school, it would really help to be Catholic). In any other case it would be, uh, I don't know what to call it...

Religionism?

• Pfo

Strange that he would support that. He also favors gun control, probably to prevent himself from shooting himself in the foot like he just did.

Yes, if the employee's religion interferes with his or her job performance.