Separation of church and state...?

If the governement is suppose to be seperate from any church HOW then can they use the "one man and one woman" as there means to say gay people should not be married..?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • joe d
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The notion of the separation of Church and State is probably the most abused political idea of the century. What the constitution intended to prevent was a preference of one religion over another, or worse the mandatory belonging to a religion. There were and still are countries where you cannot be a citizen or vote or be a member of the government unless you belong to a certain religion. This was the main reason for the mayflower's trip in 1620.

The first amendment basically has two parts concerning religion, the first (establishment) basically means the Congress cannot favor a religion. This is the one that gets the most attention. This is the part of the amendment that the ACLU uses to try to say that praying is offensive and should not have to be seen by the 1% of atheists in the USA.

No one ever remembers that the constitution states that those powers that congress does not have, the states maintain. Which means....you could have a Islamic state, or a Quaker state and so on. Congress is prohibited, the states are not.

The second part (free practice) is broken daily. Anyone who wishes to pray, no matter where they are, cannot be stopped from praying to their God.....period.

The concept of separation of church and state, as we think of it today, was written in stone by a Supreme court justice appointed by FDR (name escapes me, read Mark Levin) who wanted to make sure that the government would not force white churches to admit blacks.

The biggest loss in this whole mess is that somehow we have twisted this to say that preachers are not allowed to have a political opinion (unless they are black) or they lose their tax free status.

So, the intentions of the founders to keep government from messing with religion has been turned upside down and is now used to restrict religion.

As for gay marriage, our government is still "by the people". California, which "In the News" appears to be a liberal and pro gay marriage state, still votes 65-70 percent to prevent gay marriage. The masses do not want it, that is how it works.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

While some religions argue that marriage should be between a man and a woman, the state imposing such a rule would not violate the separation of church and state. Most churches argue that murder is wrong too, but nobody says it violates separation of church and state for states to prohibit murder.

Separation of church and state means that the government can't endorse specific religions or establish a "state church". It doesn't mean that the government can't do something just because a religious organization might want it to.

In essence, you're implicitly arguing that the government cannot prohibit gay marriage because that's what some religions want it to do. But that would violate precisely the separation you claim to be trying to uphold.

(This is why the more common argument is that such marriage laws violate principles such as equal protection or are unfair forms of discrimination.)

• frog
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

i think the government meant well at one time. I am a christian who believes in the separation of church and state. A government should not dictate moral law. We would not have the enormous amount of legislation we have to follow to stay out of jail...I also believe the family is a powerful thing, a country cannot stand without firm ties in communities...marriage has been reduced to "maybe i'll stick around for 4-5 years, then you are on your own...this is the result of lack of commitment. Gay folks are nnot going to improve that percentage; improve divorce rates, improve families.

• 1 decade ago

The First amendment. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. No where does it say any thing about separation of church and state. The First Amendment is intended to prevent the government from establishing a government backed religion,for example the Church of England.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Separation of church and state in America is an illusion at best. They open congress with prayer for crying out loud. The President is sworn in with a bible. The day a publicly known Atheist, or Satanist for that matter, becomes President of the United States then I might begin to think that Separation of church and state is a reality. Until then....Illusion.

Source(s): Satanist.
  • 1 decade ago

There is no such thing as seperation of Church and State.

Throughout history proves that whatever kingdom came into power it always has a belief system in someone(s) or something(s).

There has never been a seperation. If that were the case then at least one continent on this planet would either have a Church in it or a State in it.

There is no such thing!

• Green
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The unfortunate thing is.. Separation of Church and State does not exist. It is only a law, Christianity seems to be beyond any laws so it takes the reigns of our government and sends it off where it pleases it to go.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No place in the Constitution is there the term "Separation of Church and State". That phrase was originally coined by Thomas Jefferson in a letter that he wrote, and has since been misused, misunderstood and misquoted. Churches were given freedom from the government interfering through Freedom of Religion.

The concept of a hetero marriage is Biblical in nature. The Bible tells us "not to lie with a man as a man would lie with a woman". God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah because of deviant behavior. It is our duty as Christians to spread Gods word and point these things out.

• Pami
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

they can't, which is why gay marriage should be legal in all 50 states.

every argument I have heard has either been religious (debunked by separation of church and state) or because marriage is meant to procreate (so this means that people that are unable to have children shouldn't be married as well... like my cousin was in a car accident as a child and she's sterile because of it, so technically, if you use this arguement, she should not be allowed to get married)

• 1 decade ago

I believe that you will find that marriage is defined in the same manner in communist countries which are officially athiest. How does such a law violate the separation of church and state?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.