Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 decade ago

Would You Sign The Paper To Allow Your 17 Year Old Son To Get Tattooed?

I don't know if anyone's been here before but I will ask anyway. My son has been into tattoos for a long time; he even draws designs himself that he wishes to have done and he is considering becoming a tattoo artist.

However, the laws where we are say that if you are under the age of 18 your parent or guardian have to sign a form allowing their minor to be inked. I've been down to the tattoo parlor myself and spoke to the artist there and he said that it is not recommended to tattoo someone under the age of 16. That is because your body might not be fully grown/developed and the person might not be able to take what is involved with the procedure.

My son is hell bent on getting inked at 17 and will not wait a year until he is 18. We have been considering signing the paper but I would like to hear other input. Would you allow your child to be inked as a minor?

Favorite Answer

We made a deal with our daughter who really wanted a tattoo.

If she got all A's in her senior year we would sign for her to get a tattoo.

She graduated with all A's and went to college in the Fall with a tattoo.

Well he only has a year to go and what's a year difference going to make? I mean if this was just an all of a sudden because everyone else is doing it kind of thing I would say heck no! But if this is something he is truly interested in and it's something he's been wanting for a long time I would say yes. I got my first tattoo at 17 against my mothers wishes and I have not EVER regretted it. I put a lot of time and thought into what I wanted and I got it ... and more since then. I think if you don't believe in tattoos then you should go with what you believe but if you want your son to be happy and if this is something he's wanted for a while and has even drawn his own sketches I say go for it. Who knows maybe he can go to school so he can become a tattoo artist. It's not the horrible thing people make it out to be! Not to mention if you let him do it with your consent he will go to some place that you can take him that you will know is clean and you can help him take care of it. I went against my mothers wishes and I was lucky because I knew the artist doing my tattoo but if I were crazy and just went to any old place who would do it then I could have gotten in A LOT of trouble. At least you will know the place, know it's clean and know your son is safe!!!!

I would not allow it personally. I do not have children though. My little brother is 13 and I can imagine that the things he wants today will not be what he wants in 10, 15, 25 years.

The tatoo artist has a good point about boys' bodies still growing before they are 16... but the same is true after they are 16 as well. Boys don't stop growing until they are at least 18-20 years old. I think that you should tell him that it is an adult decision that he is free to make once he becomes an adult. Then you won't feel like you are to blame in a year when he hates it!

Nope. Nothing permanent to the body until my children are 18 and paying for it themselves.

I really have nothing against tattoos, I just don't think that a child should be permanently altering their body.

If he really likes tattoos and designs his own, suggest that he take his designs to a place that does henna tattoos. The artists are pretty good and should be able to reproduce what he wants.

It's less expensive, not permanent, and lets him get used to being "inked" before he decides if it's something he wants on his body forever.

I have three children and the first two both wanted me to sign for a tattoo prior to turning 18. I stood by my convictions to not allow them to get them and told them they would have to wait until they were old enough to make the decisions themselves. They did wait and they both did get them. Now they both regret it but at least they can't come back on me and say, "why did you let me get these stupid tattoos?".

My youngest son who is almost 18 (in Aug.) has never wanted one. He sees what the other two went through. Thank God!

Point is, if YOU don't agree with them getting the tattoo, then don't give in. We have to be parents first, then their friend. They don't stop loving us just because we say no. Sometimes they even respect us for it...

• Kashi

I would do it. I'd rather have him go to a safe and reputable place than go out and do it on his own by someone who doesn't care about the law. But, I'd let him pay for it himself. He's going to be 18 soon enough. Sure he could wait- but would he? Maybe put some stipulations on it- like for the first semester of school he has to get a certain GPA. Or some kind of incentive so he has to earn the privelage of you signing the paper.

no way- and I have 8 of my own, my husband has over 150 of his own. I know that the tat I got when I was 17 has been covered up because i realized that it was a stupid decision. I think 18 is a good age. i would recommend that he pick out his tat and where he wants it, wait a month and if he still wants the same thing, he should get it then.

Nope. No way. If he is too impatient (immature) to wait a year then that is emphasizing that he is not ready for the tattoo.

I have a tattoo myself but I waited until I was an adult of 21 and paid with my own money. Give him time to realize that what he thinks is cool at 17 might not be what he wants on his body at 35. Don't sign!

• kitkat

I would sign for it. I would however make him be sure its a tattoo he really wants and isnt just a fly by the seat of your panyts decision. But if he is this interested and is a good kid I would allow it.

no, I would not, not even until he moves out of my house would I allow my children to do so because I am a christian woman and it says not to hurt the human temple. If my children want to get a tattoo at 18 then they can also pack their bags cuz they wont be living in my house!