Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

Time goes faster as you age?

Watch this video about time going faster as you get older...

You need to go to this

http://science.discovery.com/video/index.html?play...

Select 'time' and then select 'Counting minutes'

I think that the reason that time slows down when you age is because of the following.

1) When your 10 years old, 1 year is a 10th of your life. When your 50, it is a 50th of your life and when see the 10th as being bigger than the 50th. So it is relative.

2) When your a child, your doing more in a time; so there is more to recall.

3) You are more active as a child, so a minutes seems a longer time to wait.

4) You are more frustrated having to wait 10 minutes for something like being a cue as a child as your patients is thinner. Your not functioning rationally like an adult and being calm knowing your time will come if you wait.

However this video seems to show that there is some kind of space-time distortion we expierence as we age.

However...

If a minute is called a minute by a child who expierences time slow, how can they expierence it as being slower than that when asked to guess a minute.

What do they compare it against?

Likewise the same with an old adult that thinks it is longer?

This shows that this is not proof that time really slows down.

Could it be the conditions that this expirement was done in where children would be running around and not adults?

What do you think is going on here?

I do not think that time even exists. The fact we witness time going forwards is only because one event has have to have an order to them.

You cannot be wrong or right before guessing something for example.

Snow Man

Favorite Answer

Children perceive time going by slower because of all the sensory information they take in that adults don't have to. Children constantly learn and experience new things, it takes a lot of mental focus to take in everything they see and therefore it seems that the days drag on. Adults however, don't need to focus on every detail, and actually a great deal of an adult's day is spent with their brain on autopilot, so to speak... they're doing all the tasks they've done a thousand times and don't need to be completely conscious of what they're doing, how they're doing it, and what's going on around them.

The more a person has experienced in their life, the less they have to pay attention, the less they pay attention, the less aware they are of time going by.

I also agree that it has a lot to do with your first on the list up there. Makes sense that a year would seem longer if its a tenth of your life.

- How fast or slow they count really doesn't shed light on their perception of time. The only thing this 'experiment' really measures is the brain's processing speed and that's only a portion of the question at hand. It does show proof of a cognitive decline in older adults though (woohoo, everyone knows that!).

No, time does not go faster as you age. BUT TIME IS NOT CONSTANT 1 second is not always 1 second. Its called time dialation and the basics are the faster you go the slower time goes. The faster you go the slower you age. We would never really notice because we are never moving all that fast but closer to the speed of light we would notice much more readily. Read Einstein's special relativity. That was outside the scope of the question, just wanted to correct one of the other posts.

Time slows down when you speed up.

The faster you traverse spatial dimensions the less motion is expended on traversing the dimension of time.

The distortion would be perceptual not actual.

The "experiment" even makes it clear that this is the case, a second point is that it does not account for cultural influence upon an individuals perception of time.

It is not contrasted with cultures that are not conditioned by our chronological standards.

For example what of the ancients that did not have a time piece like a watch that they were able to refer to at a moments notice.

Time and time perception are not the same thing.

Time as units may not exist as anything but an abstract for the sake of convenience but time as a dimension has been empirically verified as having existence.

Source(s): Watch the vid on special relativity.

Whoa snowman I almost melted in the heat of the question, or did I? NOT

I think you are right in general but not necessarily because of age. For instance when I am bored and there is nothing to do time creeps along. But when I am active and really involved in an event, time flies. So I think the secret is the level of involvement in the activity one has in life that makes time psychologically speed along or slow down to a crawl.

I started noticing that time was going faster at about 25 and every 5 years after it got going faster and faster.

my brother is younger than 10 and he says time goes fast

When you are over the hill. Then going down, the ride becomes faster of course.

• JOE?

Being over the hill as one so aptly put it.....makes me like his reasoning.But I digress.Yes it seems so.

Sorry what was the question?

what, reading this made time go slower............