Christening gift? Please help!!?

Hi

I need to buy a Christening gift for a baby boy who I babysit on occasion. He's 10 months old. I'm not actually a relative so I thought buying something silver/jewellery was a bit over the top? I don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable by going 'over the top'! I've actually never even been to a Christening before, so I'm really not sure what to buy. I've heard silver and jewellery are common to buy, is that too over the top? Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

I'm not actually related to this child at all. I get along very well with the family.

And maybe something unusual? I don't want to get the same as everyone else!

Favorite Answer

If you're not comfortable buying silver etc., why not look at something like a Beatrix Potter dinner set - you can get some really lovely plate, spoon and mug sets which are great for him to use or for his parents just to keep for when he's all grown up?!

Most of the jewellers do these, alongside the more "traditional" christening gifts.

Whatever you get though, it will be appreciated for the thought you put it into it

I just had my daughter baptized/christened as well. Usually you give money. Only because it's not a birthday, it's not a baby shower, it's a christening. Kinda like a wedding reception because the family usually orders food and stuff. So money will go either towards the cost of the food or to some sort of savings accoutn for the baby.

We're opening her first savings account! That's what we're doing with the $255 (canadian funds) we're doing with it!

Hope this helps!

silver is traditional but not always he best thing to buy.A nice book can be nice for when he's a bit older and rite inside the date of he christening and who it is from and it's not over he top just a nice gift to keep.You could also think about a photo frame you can get some nice christening ones or maybe even a cuddly bear or something.Buying something as a keepsake is always a good idea.

You can buy a lovely christening bible as a keepsake maybe? I don't think jewellery is over the top at all, a nice small st.christopher on a silver chain is ideal. Hope that's some help?

I purely had my daughter baptized/christened besides. generally you supply money. in basic terms as a results of fact that's not a birthday, that's not a toddler bathe, it particularly is a christening. Kinda like a marriage reception as a results of fact the kin generally orders food and stuff. So money will pass the two in direction of the fee of the food or to a pair variety of fee savings accoutn for the toddler. we are commencing her first fee savings account! that's what we are doing with the $255 (canadian money) we are doing with it! wish this helps!

• Lydia

I have two upcoming christening to go to - one for a girl, one for a boy. Each will get a stuffed teddy with a cross embroidered on its feet (really cute), and a Precious Moments book.

Last christening, I got a stuffed lamb with a cross around its neck and a Precious Moments book of prayers for a boy.

(Gee, I guess Precious Moments does big business from me!)

I think just getting a toy for the baby would be just fine. Expensive silver frames etc. is over the top as you aren't related to the baby.

xx

a small savings bond or something is nice, a toy, picture frame anything really. Diddo on the cash thing. A nice card and some cash can never go wrong! if you dont' like giving cash, maybe a gift certificate to a baby store like Babies R us, etc so they can choose the gift?

The will get lots of frames, wall hangings etc. so I would look for something different. One of my favorites my son received was growth chart that said "I'll grow with Jesus". I also really like the taggie book I bought him for Christmas as I'd like to try to only take religious toys to church. If you have a religious store near you it's worth going to as they have lots of moderately priced kid's stuff. Since you play with this child a book or toy would be the perfect gift!

money is always something to give if you dont like that idea go to

www.personalcreations.com

they have a lot of nice things for a christening I have bought from there a lot