Just married mid-tax year...questions on how to file?

1) I'm changing my state and federal forms to "Married 0" so that we don't take the chance to have to pay into the government. Is this the right route? 2) My husband has some issues with the IRS and we are thinking about filing separately instead of jointly....but we also have a son who is... show more 1) I'm changing my state and federal forms to "Married 0" so that we don't take the chance to have to pay into the government. Is this the right route?

2) My husband has some issues with the IRS and we are thinking about filing separately instead of jointly....but we also have a son who is 5...and I used to claim him, the daycare tuition and my own student loan interest. I heard if we file "married separate" I cannot claim anything anymore. True, untrue?

3) Half the year I claimed "HOH" now have to switch to married....how will this affect my tax return?

Thank you.
Update: Thank you Mathew and Judy...you are both very knowledgable and I appreciate your answers. I think I am going to check "married but withhold at a higher single rate" just to be safe. (I used to file Single 1, but now will file Married 1 but at the higher single rate) We are going to file jointly and... show more Thank you Mathew and Judy...you are both very knowledgable and I appreciate your answers.

I think I am going to check "married but withhold at a higher single rate" just to be safe. (I used to file Single 1, but now will file Married 1 but at the higher single rate) We are going to file jointly and file the "innocent spouse relief" form. My husband owes back taxes, not much, but it's still something. We both make under $40,000 each...so about $75,000 together...don't know if that makes a difference here.