Bpa cups and bottles,pls read important?

How is BPA in bottles and cups leaked to infant? is it only through microwaving? i heard some people say it is ok to use them as long as u dont microwave your babys food and others say absoutely do not use at all...I have the baby einstein sip and discover cups with the little toy at the bottom, it is said to have bpa..do i need to rid of them or as long as i dont micro his food he will be ok? thanks

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Environmental health organizations in the United States and Canada are calling for a ban on the use of the chemical bisphenol A (BPA) in baby bottles, toddler sippy cups, water bottles and other food and beverage containers.

"This is quite concerning. All 19 polycarbonate bottles [investigated in the study] leached BPA when heated. This is clearly showing that BPA is certainly leaching from popular and common consumer products," Judith Robinson, special projects director with the Environmental Health Fund, said at a Thursday teleconference. "We're calling for an immediate moratorium on the use of BPA in all baby bottles, as well as all food and beverage containers. It's not necessary, and we're calling for an end to it immediately."

The call for a ban coincides with publication of a new study, Baby's Toxic Bottle: Bisphenol A Leaching from Popular Brands of Baby Bottles, commissioned by the same group of organizations, showing that BPA leaches from popular brands of plastic baby bottles when the bottles are heated.

This study comes just days after another study found that exposing plastic bottles in general to boiling water can release BPA 55 times faster than normal.

There is concern in many quarters that BPA, an environmental estrogen, may pose some risk to development and reproduction, although it's unclear at what level that harm begins to occur.

The fear has been that exposure to BPA can cause birth defects and developmental problems. In addition, exposure to BPA has been blamed for a variety of other problems, including cancer, diabetes, obesity and attention-deficit disorder.

Dr. David Carpenter, a professor of environmental health sciences at the State University of New York at Albany School of Public Health, said BPA taken into the body before birth and in the early years of life can alter the ratio of sex hormones and affect development.

"It's absolutely obscene to use a substance that can make little boys less masculine and opens the chance that little girls will go on to develop breast cancer," he said at the teleconference.

But a representative of the plastics industry dismissed the alarm.

"There is nothing new in this report," said Steven Hentges, executive director of the American Plastics Council's Polycarbonate Business Unit. "The data that is presented has been known for years and, most importantly, data of that type has been reviewed by government agencies around the world in their comprehensive reviews on BPA and, in every case, they reach a conclusion even after considering this kind of data that polycarbonate baby bottles are safe for use."

The new report tested six major brands of plastic baby bottles available at major retailers, including Wal-Mart and Babies-R-Us, in the United States and Canada. According to the study, 95 percent of baby bottles on the market contain BPA.

The brands tested -- which included Avent, Disney/The First Years, Dr. Brown's, Evenflo, Gerber and Playtex -- all leached BPA when heated. According to the study authors, these same levels of BPA caused a range of adverse effects in laboratory animals.

Among U.S. bottles, Dr. Brown's brand had the highest level of leaching while Avent brand bottles had the lowest levels, the report said.

The report authors called for manufactures to phase out BPA and switch to safer products and urged the federal government to update regulations concerning this chemical.

More information

http://health.usnews.com/usnews/health/healthday/0...

View the full study at babystoxicbottle.org.

here is a great site that lists all baby brand names. you can click on each brand and find out what products of theirs contain BPA and which ones are BPA free. i would go with BORN FREE bottles, which are BPA FREE, and work wonders

http://zrecs.blogspot.com/2008/02/z-report-on-bpa-...

Source(s): mommy of a 7 month old boy
  • 1 decade ago

Trace amounts of BPA will leach even if you don't microwave or heat the liquid in the cup/bottle. That being said - there is also BPA in the container of formula, and many of the baby food containers (that are plastic), as well as bottled water and the list goes on and on and on... Until there's a government recall on use of it at all, you're not going to completely get rid of it... I would probably get rid of what you can though and be careful with what you have.

• 1 decade ago

I understand the BPA leaches out of the plastic regardless of whether it is heated or not. Also if you wash them in the dishwasher the high heat in there is said to compromise the integrity of the plastic.

One article says this, the other says that... I personally got tired of worrying about it and just replaced everything with BPA free products! I figure you can never be too safe.

If you question whether or not your items are safe go to this website to verify:

http://zrecs.blogspot.com/2008/02/z-report-on-bpa-...

Source(s): Proud mommy to two boys!
  • 1 decade ago

According to the government report, it depends on the temperature of the liquid. Hot liquids leach more BPA than cool ones. But I don't know what temperature is safe. We use glass bottles for our baby.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

I was in petco the other day and all of their "tanks" designed just for bettas are completely wrong. They sell these tiny "betta bowls" and these designer tanks that don't even have a lid. They also have this thing where you can make it all pretty with rocks and lights and in the end you would just stress your betta out and kill it. No wonder people are so stupid. When they see these betta products they're going to think "oh, this was made for a betta, it must be the best thing" but its not. It sickens me to think of the countless bettas that jump from their designer tanks and die or are left in tiny little bowls. People, for the most part, buy bettas because they're pretty. however unhappy, sad, cold bettas are not pretty. If a betta is in a large warm tank his colors will be a thousand times prettier and he will be much more active and entertaining to watch.

• 1 decade ago

Supposedly, even if the liquid is not heated, trace amounts of BPA leach into the liquid and is ingested by your baby. This process is intensified when heated. to be safe, buy new ones.

• 1 decade ago

get rid of the cups - FYI this also applies to pacifiers, dishes, teethers, ziploc bags, toys - anything and everything that is plastic - for you too, not just the baby - check out safemama.com for more info

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.