Calculus vs. Discrete Math (Course Help!)?

So i'm going into Life Sciences in University this September. I have to choose either one of two math courses:

MATH 1A03 CALCULUS FOR SCIENCE I : (For students in science: geared towards applications, with attention to underlying concepts. Functions: limits, continuity, derivatives, optimization, curve sketching. Antiderivative, definite integral, techniques of integration.)

OR

MATH 1LS3 MATHEMATICS FOR THE LIFE SCIENCES : (Topics from differential and integral calculus, differential equations, discrete math, chosen for their relevance to the life sciences. )

--> Which course would be easier?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

you will do the same type of math in both courses with the exception that Calculus for Science is more theoretical and Calculus for Life Sciences will lead to applying the mathematics to real life problems, but that always depend how the professor constructs his teaching style. You would choose the one, depending on what you would like to learn and what your major is.

• Jane
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Engineering is not about learning how things work. But understanding why they work. As an example you design a computer system to control a robot. But your robot has performance specifications. How do you know your robot will meet the performance specifications. You have to design it using calculus. It is not possible to calculate a solution in the S frequency plane with out using calculus.

• 1 decade ago

Calc for Scie would be more techincal and the exercise problems usually are trickier; while the Calc for LS will usually be geared more toward daily use.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Easier for you? pick something else. If this question has you stumped, you can always teach gym.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.