promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Question about renting a car for family trip?

Question about renting a car for family vacation?

i want to rent a car for 4 days but im only 21 and i want to put it on my creditcard but i think im underage to do so

is this true?

also if i get someone older than 25 to put it on thr card does hat person have to be the driver

i heard that the person that rents the car has to be the driver?

is that true?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The minimum age of renting a car varies per car rental company but the rule of thumb is 24 or 25 years of age for the main ones like Hertz, Avis, National, Alamo etc....

Yes, the card holder must be there to rent the car and put you on as a driver. Or else the renter is really sticking their neck out for you. For example, let's say your friend rents a car and you drive it without being on the contract as a driver. Then a drunk driver hits you and it's obviously the drunks fault. You and the person who rented the car will be sued by the car rental company for the cost of replacing the car, plus legal fees and not just the value for the car.

Try to borrow a vehicle from a friend or family member. Also shop around and check all the different types of rental car companies. There might be one that rents to adults age 21. Try some of the not so popular companies like "Rent A Wreck". Also some used car lots will rent a vehicle that they are trying to sell for limited time. Just start calling.......

Good Luck.............

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Actually guys New York State law prohibits car rental companies from NOT renting to licensed drivers who are over 18.However the law does allow the companies to add a reasonable fee to the rental

http://www.oag.state.ny.us/consumer/tips/auto_rent...

The best way to save lot's of money on any rental car is by NOT renting it at the airport.;use a local location instead.

The disadvantage of that strategy is that there will be limited car choices and the rental offices won't be open 24/7 like the ones at the airport are

Good luck

Source(s): me
  • 1 decade ago

Most companies have a minimum age of 25.

Yes, the person who rents the car has to be listed as the main driver; however, people can be added as additional drivers.

• 1 decade ago

yep, ur right!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.