Is the sentence "You are 'a' student" grammatically wrong? (explain a little)Thanks...?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You are an 'A' student. or You are a student.

If you are describing the student as an "a" student you need an indefinite article such as a or an for a function word. No wonder english is so hard to learn, I speak english and cant tell you why you need an a or an before a description. So I went looking for the right way to put it. What I found confused even me.

Main Entry:

2a Listen to the pronunciation of 2a

Pronunciation:

\ə, (ˈ)ā, Canada ˈa\

Function:

indefinite article

Etymology:

Middle English, from Old English ān one — more at one

Date:

before 12th century

1—used as a function word before singular nouns when the referent is unspecified <a man overboard> and before number collectives and some numbers <a dozen>2: the same <birds of a feather> <swords all of a length>3 a—used as a function word before a singular noun followed by a restrictive modifier <a man who was here yesterday> b: any <a man who is sick can't work> c—used as a function word before a mass noun to denote a particular type or instance <a bronze made in ancient times> d—used as a function word before a proper noun representing an example or type <the attractions of a Boston or a Cleveland> e—used as a function word before a proper noun to indicate limited knowledge about the referent <a Mr. Smith called to inquire about the job> f—used as a function word before a proper noun to distinguish the condition of the referent from a usual, former, or hypothetical condition <a triumphant Ms. Jones greeted her supporters>4—used as a function word with nouns to form adverbial phrases of quantity, amount, or degree <felt a bit tired>

usage In speech and writing a is used before a consonant sound <a door> <a human>. Before a vowel sound an is usual <an icicle> <an honor> but especially in speech a is used occasionally, more often in some dialects than in others <a apple> <a hour> <a obligation>. Before a consonant sound represented by a vowel letter a is usual <a one> <a union> but an also occurs though less frequently now than formerly <an unique> <such an one>. Before unstressed or weakly stressed syllables with initial h both a and an are used in writing <a historic> <an historic>. In the King James Version of the Old Testament and occasionally in writing and speech an is used before h in a stressed syllable <an huntress> <an hundred> <children are an heritage of the Lord — Psalms 127:3(Authorized Version)>.

• 1 decade ago

You are a student.

That sentence is perfectly fine.

If you wanted to, you could also write it as:

"You're a student"

Both are fine :)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't think so. I'd leave out the apostrophes around the letter a.

• 1 decade ago

No...it sounds just fine.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.