Drew Carl asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

Cycling shoes?

I am getting my first pair of clipless shoes and pedals. Will all shoes fit the cleats that come with whatever pedals I decide to buy? Do I have to shop for shoes that will fit the specific cleats/pedal combos I buy?

Favorite Answer

I understand that there are basically two types of clip less pedal systems and of course they are not compatible.

There is the racing style. These I think are bolted to the shoe with a 3 bolt system and so the shoes must be suitable for this system.

May I mention that this type seem to be difficult to walk in.

There is the 'Shimano' but often copied S.P.D. system. (Shimano Pedal Dynamics-or something like). These use a 4 bolt system and,by the way, the cleats are designed to be easy to walk in. They are use for touring and off road riding (mountain bikes) and often used by commuters.

Both systems are easy to use and they both have options to set up the 'float' and to alter the strength of the release system.

You could, demanding on the type of cycling you do, invest in both systems for different bikes, events or personal preference.

May I say that unless you are racing, the spd system is probably the one for you.

You will have to decide what type of shoe will meet your needs. Do you want to be able to walk up steep hills, if so, buy MTB shoes with recesses for the SPD cleats. If you feel that you are fit to get up all hills, buy road shoes with LOOK type pedals. Most road shoes have holes to take both type of cleats but they are not suitable or safe to walk in and the cleats wear out very quickly if you walk a lot.

yes you do have to check that the shoes are compatable with certain style of cleats. For example, MTB shoes will more than likely not work with Look style cleats.

I would buy the shoes because the shorts will buy you some comfort but the shoes will let you go a fair amount faster, make it easier to pedal and will add comfort over clips and you can put power more efficiently to the wheels.