Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Do kittens whiskers grow back if they were cut or broken off?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Deb H.

I adopted a kitten awhile ago whose mom had chewed off all her whiskers. I learned an interesting fact that mother cats will often do this to make sure that their kittens will not stray, since all cats need their whiskers to navigate and to be able to gauge distances and widths of areas.

Of course they grew back. It took several weeks for them to grow out, but they did, and she now sports a fabulous set of whiskers.

So not to worry, and do protect your kitten from losing their whiskers again. They are crucial to them.

http://www.kittencare.com/askKC_Wounded.html

Hope this helps,

Troublesniffer

Owned by cats for over 40 years

Former Oriental Shorthair and Siamese breeder

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Do Kittens Whiskers Grow Back

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, but the whiskers are used like radar. Cats feel objects with their whiskers, so if your cat is walking around, the cat knows how do get around. There are some cases where if someone cuts the whiskers off a cat or if they were broken too close to the face, some of the time the cat will lose all direction and wind up dying. Good Luck!

Source(s): I am a nurse for a animal hopital, we see this every once in a while.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, they do, and in fact, if you look around your house, you'll occationally find a "shed" whisker. Our cats love to use them as play toys, so we usually end up taking them away from them.

Sometimes a cat will get a split whisker (much like you can get a split end to your hair) When that happens, I will clip the split part, but ONLY the split part. Cats are good at taking care of their own whiskers.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

If they were full size and broke they don't really grow again, but at some point they fall off and new ones grow. So basically teh whiskers will be back to normal either way, don't worry.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They grow back but it's not nice to cut the whiskers off because they need them :)

• 1 decade ago

Whiskers, like other hairs, fall out and regrow from time to time. The whisker you cut won't grow longer, but in time it will be replaced by another whisker.

• 1 decade ago

Yes. When my cat was a kittne, all of the whiskers on one side of his face compeltely cracked off! (it looked so funny, but I was a little concerned). After a few weeks, the eventually grew back to normal length. :)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

My 4 month old kitten sniffed a burning candle about 3 weeks ago and singed hers off. They're just now starting to grow back. She looks so funny!

• yes they do, i found a whisker on the floor in my bathroom so i went to find my cat to see which one was missing, after that i kept an eye on it to see if it would grow back. it did, dont worry.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.