My real estate agent has suggested that we submit up to 5 offers on five different houses.?

when I have mentioned this to friends, they seem shocked that he can do this saying that their real estate agents would only allow one offer at a time. Is my real estate agent doing something wrong? I asked him if this was legal and he says that as long as we don't give them any earnest money we are fine and... show more when I have mentioned this to friends, they seem shocked that he can do this saying that their real estate agents would only allow one offer at a time. Is my real estate agent doing something wrong? I asked him if this was legal and he says that as long as we don't give them any earnest money we are fine and can withdraw our offer at any time.
Update: As an explanation: We have a very short amount of time in which to buy a house. About 1 month.